Kephart Design

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
View attachment 726721 With all the recent discussion on the iconic Kephart knife and having been lucky enough to handle an original, I just had to try and make my own version. I tried to incorporate some of the same handle contours in mine as found on the original. I went a little larger on mine in the length and handle thickness but it feels great in my paw :) I used .200 thick 5160 for the blade stock and drilled out the tang for weight reduction. Overall this one is 10 1/16in. The blade is 5 1/16in tip to handle. I used some old black canvas micarta for the scales and brass pins. This should make a great belt knife and will be easy on the belt at 10oz. I will try to get some more pics up this coming weekend but for now this oily pic will have to do.

Last edited:
Come on Brother it worked last time
Thanks again wife cut a big BBQ chicken Breast wid da Camp Beast, she likes so all good , Hope all good wid U and Yours

Looks awesome man...

I like it!!! I see the reverence for the original, but I also see "your style" in this model!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can't wait to see field pics of this one!!!;)

Waiting for more photos...:D

felix.gif

Really like the contouring on that one Bill! Let us know how you like using it!

Aaaaaaaand, please keep those pics comin'!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I really like the feel of this design. I'd never been too excited about the Kephart design until handling the original that recently surfaced. Most on the market today are correct in profile but lack the handle contours of the originals. With the contours, the hand really settles in during use. The handle is tear drop shaped plus tapers with the pommel area being slightly wider than near the guard. The material flares at the guard to keep your hand off the blade. It is totally out of line with blades of its era that seemed blocky and cheap by comparison. I am hoping that with Ethan Becker sharing the blade with so many people at the Blade Show, we might see a little revolution in the current market for the Kephart pattern knives.

So Damn Cool. After reading the Kephart thread on the Becker side I kept thinkin' to myself, what would Mr. Siegle come up with.

Really great to see you do this pattern.

Reminiscent of 2 Nessmuck patterns from BladeWest 2007/2008?

Now how can we get a SAR4/Kephart/Nessmuck fusion? That's probably a little to ridiculous.

Hey Bill,

Any performance/handle comfort updates/opinions now that you've had a chance to play with her for a while?

Of course more pics are always appreciated as well.:D

Stump

No pics but I got it out camping last week and it really worked great! It carves well on some test sticks and batons easily enough. I really enjoyed the handle shape as the contours fit my hand well. Overall I was very pleased with the design. I may try another in a 4inch blade someday:)

Back