Photos Kepharts...They just Work

Nice lineup! Those are sweet!

I thought for sure I had more Kepharts, but I have been getting rid of many of my 4"-4.5" bladed outdoor knives in favor of 5"-6" so I must have gotten rid of them as many are in the smaller size range. The slightly larger blade suits me better.

These are all right about at 5" blades.

My 1st kephart was Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist 's.

I bought it mainly because of the said maker's reputation and I am just a sucker for broomstick handle shaped knives.

And as an architect I tend to like simplicity in things/designs that just work. And kephart happened to be the pinnacle of that. I've had and used a lot of knives, but this particular design just did it for me. Many friends and family said it's too much money for a 'simple knife' but in the end it's the knife that ends up being used in our hiking trips/kitchen/etc.

20211223_084104.jpg

I have made a written review about this knife, but wrote it in my native language. You can read it here

4 to 5 inches blade length is spot on for me, just wish some of the handles were a little longer at 4.5 to almost 5 inches.

5" blade, 5" handle, 10" OAL is about the perfect "most things" knife, which I think all of the Kephart styled knives above are near. Probably closer to 4.5"-4.75" on the handle. I have a 5" handle on my bush brute and it makes a great camp knife. The handle would be perfect on a Kephart blade... since the handle is based on the Kephart and Hudson Bay knives I've used over the years.

Maybe I'll have to work up a run of something like that in a carbon steel.

5" blade, 5" handle, 10" OAL is about the perfect "most things" knife, which I think all of the Kephart styled knives above are near. Probably closer to 4.5"-4.75" on the handle. I have a 5" handle on my bush brute and it makes a great camp knife. The handle would be perfect on a Kephart blade... since the handle is based on the Kephart and Hudson Bay knives I've used over the years.

That sounds perfect.

Well poop, my first crack at these liners and I messed up already. I thought I'd cheat a little bit and line up the liners with the straight side of the handle. It worked on one side but the other is negatively proud. It sunk in a tad. Next time I'll just leave them proud all the way around except the top.
How do you all suggest I should grind the excess off. I have a 2x42 belt sander but what if I make contact with the walnut scales?

Attachments

• 20221019_182416.jpg
    20221019_182416.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20221019_182457.jpg
    20221019_182457.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 3

I bought it mainly because of the said maker's reputation and I am just a sucker for broomstick handle shaped knives.

And as an architect I tend to like simplicity in things/designs that just work. And kephart happened to be the pinnacle of that. I've had and used a lot of knives, but this particular design just did it for me. Many friends and family said it's too much money for a 'simple knife' but in the end it's the knife that ends up being used in our hiking trips/kitchen/etc.

20211223_084104.jpg

I have made a written review about this knife, but wrote it in my native language. You can read it here
Those Nathans kephies are some of the most handsome knives I know!

Archieving beauty in simple form is harded than people think and people who say ”they just threw that together in few minutes” are often not - not so surprisingly - any kind of designers or artisans.

what about in AEBL or other stainless?

what about in AEBL or other stainless?

I could do that too, just takes a lot longer. Most od the stuff I have David make for me is in AEB-L or magnacut. It just seems like a lot of people like carbon steel in this genre of knife. The cost would be lower with carbon steel as well since it's easier to heat treat.

I don't like taking pre-orders, but that's probably the only way I would do a whole run of something like that in AEB-L for a while, since there's so many Kephart and Kephart-like options out there already.

Those Nathans kephies are some of the most handsome knives I know!

Archieving beauty in simple form is harded than people think and people who say ”they just threw that together in few minutes” are often not - not so surprisingly - any kind of designers or artisans.

I was watching a cooking show (*competition) where one of the Competitors opted to make "cacio e pepe", which is a pretty simple pasta dish. During the competition, a couple of the Judges were bagging on the guy for not choosing a more elaborate and less "safe" dish. As they were hatin' on the guy, one of the Judges piped-up and said something along the lines of, "Yes, cacio e pepe is a very simple dish. However, sometimes simplicity can be the hardest thing to execute."

That comment stuck with me, as I have always believed that but have never been able to articulate that concept so succinctly.

I took a chance on making a minimalist zero ground scandivex Kephart variant with no guard. But it's just been sitting, so maybe it was a bad idea. Bad design? Or does my cardboard and tape residue encrusted cutting mat just scare everyone away now? 🤣

img_8865-jpg.1954193

How do you all suggest I should grind the excess off. I have a 2x42 belt sander but what if I make contact with the walnut scales?

It should not be a big problem if you minimally contact the scales. You can blend any facets you create by hand sanding after the machine work is done. Nice to see you modding. It's a rewarding experience, and I wish you success! Don't forget to wear a respirator when cutting G10.

20211223_084104.jpg

That really is a fantastic looking knife.

Well poop, my first crack at these liners and I messed up already. I thought I'd cheat a little bit and line up the liners with the straight side of the handle. It worked on one side but the other is negatively proud. It sunk in a tad. Next time I'll just leave them proud all the way around except the top.
I'd cut new liners... or slot the holes?
Are they super short of the wood scales?

*If it's already "glued" on, you can usually get it to lose it's adhesive by boiling it off

Back