Review Kershaw Federalist - A Review from the Perspective of a Traditional Slip Joint Guy

In the video below I go over the Federalist from the lense of a more traditional slip joint enthusiast. I think anyone who enjoys a slip joint needs to either hold one of these in person or do their research before they buy. Long of the short is this is Kershaw’s first attempt into the traditional slip joint market and while they’ve made a great product, in my opinion it’s not going to satisfy the average slip joint user. I don’t think this knife is the bridge into traditional folders they wanted it to be. See the video for the full review.

Appreciate the review and demo of the detent system. "This isn't as cool of an adult fidget spinner" - hah!

As one of the people that got cut by a double detent folder....I would take a nice stiff backspring/half stop any day.

I have no idea why these (double detent) are so popular. At least the KC archaeo has a big flipper/guard.

Double detent ! Yeah ! ............. Not a fan ..
I would really like to see a lock back ...
Or why not do a liner locking double detent ?
Or better still , add some form of button lock .

As one of the people that got cut by a double detent folder....I would take a nice stiff backspring/half stop any day.

I have no idea why these (double detent) are so popular. At least the KC archaeo has a big flipper/guard.
I've never cut myself on one, but those detents never felt like a good back spring replacement. I've tried it once and walked away.

To OP - I believe that Kershaw actually has some traditionals.

Double detent ! Yeah ! ............. Not a fan ..
I would really like to see a lock back ...
Or why not do a liner locking double detent ?
Or better still , add some form of button lock .
I think a liner lock needs to be on this knife. It’s a good easy choice that keeps the lines clean.

Thanks for the review. It's not really comparable to GEC, 1095 steel vs 154CM and $135 vs. 105. I have a Spyderco with a detent system and I loves it. Why all the shooting for your intro, made me think it isn't a knife review ?:)

Thanks for the review. It's not really comparable to GEC, 1095 steel vs 154CM and $135 vs. 105. I have a Spyderco with a detent system and I loves it. Why all the shooting for your intro, made me think it isn't a knife review ?:)
I review guns and gear primarily, it’s my generic intro.

I handled one of these on the snap on tool truck at work, I really liked it, massive blade for its slim overall size, the micarta felt and looked great, it’s a slicer. The action felt good and for me was quite figity.
Didn’t like the price, $175 on the truck!
A small pocket clip and $100 less would have sold it.

They should put thjs.on washers and give it A thumb stud/hole & flipper!!!

Back