Kershaw torsion bars

I have a few Kershaws. Specifically I have a Kershaw Chive & Leek. Had them about 2 or 3 years.

Love the ‘snap’ of the chive opening. It really pops.
I got the Leek second. I was disappointed in the opening speed. I’d bought two and gave the better, faster opener to the other guy. Sent it back to Kershaw for ‘repair’. They sent it back out not really any faster. (I know there is more mass but also torsion bar is bigger?)

The chive is almost a daily carry. Well the other day, for no reason, it would only open ½ way. After repeated disassemblies, cleaning, lubricating and reassembly the torsion bar showed a split. It must have been fatigued & finally gave way.

Put in a new torsion bar & it’s faster than I can remember. Very impressive. I can even feel the extra tensioning/torsioning as I close it.

So my question is are these torsion bar models best left open so as not to let the torsion bar take a set or fatigue? Storing for more than 30 days?

Turned out I did it the assembly different than the youtube. Much easier my way I thought but that’s the way it disassembled. (If you’re researching assembly, disassembly the video is fine, just a little awkward – DO IT OPENED)

ps
Santa bought me an interesting knife this year. He brought a ColdSteel special e-mail offer – the Double Agent I & the Double Agent II ($25-45 fixed blade). I gave the DA I away as a present.

A very interesting knife, the DA II.
I didn’t realize the fighting options offered by the ergonomics when I ordered. I was looking for a reasonable neck knife which I’d try wearing daily to see if practical. Went looking for a more practical rope/leather attachment and never did. I thought it a bit too big.
But the knife is an appendage.

Before I posted I thought I’d youtube. Sure enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d61n3O_IH84 a good review.

From what I understand, storing the knife closed has negligible effect on the torsion bar. That said, storing them open can't be worse (though maybe more dangerous).

The wear comes from repeated cycling of the spring. This is aggravated if you quickly open and close the blade many times.

The bigger knives will always be slower to open than the little chive. The big Offset has two torsion bars and it still doesn't have the snappy feel of the chive. It does feel good, though.

From what I understand, storing the knife closed has negligible effect on the torsion bar. That said, storing them open can't be worse (though maybe more dangerous).

The wear comes from repeated cycling of the spring. This is aggravated if you quickly open and close the blade many times.

The bigger knives will always be slower to open than the little chive. The big Offset has two torsion bars and it still doesn't have the snappy feel of the chive. It does feel good, though.

I believe Ken Onion said that it is better to store the knife open since there is no pressure being put on the torsion bar, it is basically just sitting in the knife and the lock is holding it open. Also I'm pretty sure some of the larger Kershaws were designed to open slower.

:D I believe the first time I opened a chive I dropped it, the little thing surprised me.

Holding a spring under tension has no ill effect. As dramatic example, I've seen surplus WWII M2 carbine mags, loaded since the 1940's, that function perfectly fine after 60 years of storage.

The Random Leek I have doesn't seem to have a lot of snap, although it improved quite a bit after breaking in and lubing with Militec. The larger Shallot, by contrast, of which I have three, bangs open with real authority. This, along with what I've read from others, leads me to think that SpeedSafe "action" just varies from model to model.

Back