Khukuri forum music genre and hit parade

Ya can't argue taste to anybody's satisfaction. But there are times when the right tune seems to hit the spot. Having been told that my taste is in my mouth suits me (true friends just have to speak the cold truth, even if unpopular at the moment), and those words that were hardest to swallow have served me well. You may doubt this, but being on the forum more lately isn't because I don't have a life, just due to time off work (disagree?).

There's nothing quite like driving mountain roads at night with good banjo music. Some Patsy Cline, Alan Jackson, or Julian Bream (if uptempo lute Baroque consort) when doing khukuri stuff, like applying the umteenth coat of tung oil to a rosewood handle is my notion of a good time. None of this music was my own idea, but suggestions from some technically knowledgeable folks. Brothers, I now have the revelation.

My latest and biggest moment of khukuri inspiration has come (as we speak) at the computer on this very forum. Go figure, you might say, but this new Ricky Skaggs & friends "Big Mon" CD has got it all goin' on, baby! (you may afraid that I'm going to) Let me tell you why. Ricky has perfect pitch, is a master musician (esp. on mandolin and fiddle) and songwriter, and as a producer has brought talent from numerous styles who have huge admiration for Bill Monroe (inventor of bluegrass music and kin to the prez. Wm. Monroe). Folks are hard-pressed to name anyone else who's single-handedly invented a pure style of music.

I would not have thought bringing this bunch together to pay tribute could work: Bruce Hornsby, Dolly Parton, Steve Wariner, Patty Loveless, John Fogarty, the Whites, Dixie Chicks, Travis Tritt, Charlie Daniels, Joan Osborne, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and Dwight Yoakam. Heck, since I don't even like lots of their original stuff, how could they get better and keep it from sounding like a hodge-podge? The answer is Ricky and good tunes, 'cause you can't make ckicken salad from chicken poop. Somehow, the music is traditionally rooted but stll fresh. When examined closely, it has the subtle refinements of a perfectly made Cheetlang. Yeah, high praise.

Even the liner notes are as great as the sidemen. Monroe is the only one in all these halls of fame: Rock and Roll, Country Music, Songwriters, and Bluegrass. Quote with his first bagel: "That's the toughest doughnut, and it ain't a bit sweet." To be a good Bluegrass Boy, you've got to keep your hair cut, dress right, know how to fix a fence, and drive a good nail. His first meeting with Frank Sinatra: "Mr. Monroe, I'm Frank Sinatra." "What is it you do?" asked Monroe. "I'm a singer, sir." "...Believe I've hear'd a you."

Like my first khukuri, I'm just amazed with the master craftsmanship in this recording. If you're not too puckered, I can't imagine forumites not loving the mix of the forum and this CD. Wish I could offer you your money back if you try it and disagree. I may be a bit crazed, but I ain't stupid!

Anybody else have some great khukuri music?

Dan (can't shift to the next gear until I let go of the one I'm in)

Back