Khukuri Storage

I recently received my 15" Ang Khola…wow. I had originally ordered this item primarily to satisfy my curiosity (I've been intrigued by khukuris for a long time); however, I had no idea that the knife would be as substantial and effective as it has proved to be. The geometry of the blade has an amazing ability to translate an admittedly unskilled user's efforts into awesome chopping power. I've already taken to carrying the AK behind the seat of my truck along with my other daily-use tools (so much for it being a collector's piece). I guess I'll have to start saving up for a 20" AK or maybe a Sirupati…

Now for a potentially stupid question: I'm a relative novice to the collection and use of quality knives so I thought I'd see if any of the more experienced forumites could share their wisdom. I seem to recall reading in one of the threads in this forum that it was recommended that these khukuris be stored in the sheath. I haven't been able to re-locate that particular bit of information, but I wanted to confirm this recommendation since it seems to contradict the "conventional" wisdom about storing high-carbon steel blades in sheaths made of organic materials (I had always been told that this could lead to staining of the blade). I have heard claims that some knives could be stored in wooden sheaths because the wood absorbed some of the oil coating the blade and actually contributed to rust/stain prevention. I would suppose that the type and quality of the wood (or leather) also affects blade storage. I guess I'm particularly curious about this issue because I own a couple of other knives forged of 5160 steel that have leather-wrapped wooden sheaths. Any comments or suggestions on the proper storage of these pieces would be greatly appreciated…

Jim

I personally use Marine Tuff Cloth on the blade, and spray some gun oil on it just before re-sheathing it. I've sprayed gun oil in the sheath itself to let it soak in. The wood absorbs it very well. The oiling is probably not necessary because of the tuff cloth, but hey, I love my khukuris and like to pamper them after hard use...

Modern leather sheaths, because of their synthetic chemical treatment processes, do not have the same characteristics as wood or "brain-tanned" leather for retention of chemicals. In fact, they retain more water, which contributes greatly to blade corrosion.

Hope this helps!

Peace,

Brian.

Hi UglyJim:

Keep the khukuri in the scabbard and you'll have much less trouble with rust, corrosion, etc.

Bill

Cougar has some interesting comments to say about knife storage in leather sheaths in the following thread:

<A HREF="http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001660.html">http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001660.html</A>

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 16 March 1999).]

UglyJim,

I live in the Puget Sound region of Washington state. It’s kind of wet here. I’ve been using canola or olive oil on my Ang Khola after use, and it works well to prevent rust. I recently bought a Marine Tuff-Cloth, and gave that a try. I found that after rubbing down with the Tuff-cloth, and no oil application, I began to get tiny spots of rust on the knife after a few days. The knife is always stored in the sheath.

I may continue using the Tuff-cloth, but I will also use the protective oil coating. The oil is simple and effective. If you don’t care about cosmetics it is probably not necessary to use anything. A little oxidation won’t hurt the utility of the blade.

I use WD-40 and it works well for me. I know in the field it is not practical to carry a spray can of this around but any oil will work. In a pinch olive oil or a coating of butter will keep the rust away.

Bill

Howard, your experience with Marine Tuf-Cloth surprised me. When I use it, it leaves a very thick coating on the knife which is extreemly corrosion resistant. I have not seen any rust on either of my khukuris and that's all I use to protect them. They are always stored in the sheath unless I am drying it out after I came in from being out in the snow or something. Its not a perm. coating but it does take a while to wear off.

-Cliff

I have had great success storing my knives in the sheaths. I occasionally coat the blade with a spray of automotive undercoat such as Rust Check or Krown. So far I have not found any rust on my khukuri's.

Cliff, is there are two types of Tuf-cloth. The Marine tuf for extreme conditions and the standard tuf cloth. I have used the Marine Tuf on knives and firearms with great success.

Will

Many thanks for the suggestions, gentlemen! I'll have to try the Tuf-Cloth...

Jim

I don't know if I qualify regarding this issue since all my khukuris (except 2 beaters)are part of a collection and don't get the workouts I read about here. I keep it simple and the wooden scabbards take care of the rest. An ocassional wipe down with an old chunk of sweatshirt barely touched with 3 in 1 oil keeps all my blades healthy and happy in their scabbards.

------------------
JP

Will there are two types, the Marine being the stronger and it leaves a thicker coating than the regular. Howard stated that he used the Marine which is what surprised me.

-Cliff

Thanks for posting that wormhole, Cliff; it saves me a rant.
smile.gif

Another perennial controversy is over possible toxicity of rust preventers on knives that you use on food, but I don't suppose that applies to khukuris so go for it! Marine Tuff-Cloth is great stuff.

WD-40 and similar penetrating oil is not very good at preventing rust (or at lubricating, either. It's good for its intended purpose as a penetrating oil and it's mediocre at best for other purposes). It'll work if you renew it often enough, but I *don't* recommend it for long-term storage. Search rec.guns and you'll find all kinds of horror stories. You can get better oils at any gunshop. Tuff-Cloth rules, but if you're too cheap to buy some and you have some gun oil around, use that.

If you're using the knife all the time and you keep oiling it, though, anything handy will work fine. WD-40 is okay under those conditions, or motor oil -- just wipe your khukuri with the same rag you wipe your dipstick with.

-Cougar Allen :{)

By the way guys, another excellent rust preventer is the Break Free oil that you can get in a can, black with yellow label. That one will keep rust of any knife. It's way better that most of the oils out there. I also use it on my guns.

Thanks for more tips. Cougar, should I quit using WD-40 and move to something else? As someone pointed out, there's still plenty of room for me to learn.

Bill

Tuff Cloth may not be the solution for you Bill since the khukuri's probably come from Nepal with oil on it. The instructions on Tuff Cloth suggest that the knives be washed and oil free before application. They actually recommend two cloths one for cleaning and some application and another for application of the dry film.

I would recommend something like Rust Check, if it does not hurt the leather (so far it does not seem to). I would like to hear if leather is damaged by something like Rust Check. It will displace moisture like WD-40 but is also a good rust preventer.

WD-40 is probably quite adequate for the trip from your place to the customer. Once there most of us have our own quirks about rust prevention.

Will

The last few lots of khukuris have arrived here with blades oiled with what looks to be perhaps a 40 wt. motor oil. And, it does not have 25,000 miles on it like it used to have. Clean.

Yangdu wipes the blades down, gives the entire rig final inspection. This is the third inspection -- one at shop, Kami before packing and shipping, and Yangdu here to look for shipping damage and other discrepancies.
My eyes are not so good but even I will take a look before the knife is headed for a customer. We don't want to ship anything less than perfect.

Bill

Back