Khukuris of Enduring Freedom -- email. Nice read.

I thought this might be of interest to most. I'm doing a little puja for MSgt. Sikes and if others would like to join in I'm sure he'd appreciate it and it wouldn't do him any harm. We're with you, Sarge.
=======================================================

Subj: Khukuris of Enduring Freedom
Date: 5/28/02 6:29:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time
To: unclebill@himalayan-imports.com

Greetings,
I recently received my 12" Sirupati, made by Kumar. Please pass on to him
my thanks and complements on an excellent piece of work. I didn't purchase
this Khukuri to hang on the wall, or chop two by fours in my back yard. I'll
be leaving soon for a tour of duty in eastern Afghanistan, and I wanted a
good Khukuri along with me this time. I got exposed to them back in Desert
Storm when I had the privilege of spending time with some Ghurkas in Tabuk,
Saudi Arabia.
A friend of mine who's already on the ground in Afghanistan e-mailed me
today (wish we'd had that luxury last war). Seems he's been pulling missions
with some Royal Marines, many of whom carry Khukuris as their field knife of
choice, and now he's just got to have one. He wanted to know if I knew where
he could acquire one of good quality. Expect his order soon. I pointed him
your way, not simply because of the quality of your blades, but also because
of the honor and integrity of the folks behind them. My complements again to
Kumar, and all the other kamis, and to you for all you've done in bringing
these great blades to the world.

Sincerely,
MSgt. Gregory Sikes

p.s.: I also purchased a Kagnas Katne, paper cutter indeed, when mine's not
in my BDU pocket it's hanging on a cord around my neck ;-)

Originally posted by Bill Martino - Gregory Sikes
I pointed him your way, not simply because of the quality of your blades, but also because of the honor and integrity of the folks behind them

Yes its the integrity and honesty of the whole HI outfit, and yourself, Uncle Bill, that has led me to be boasting Himalayan Imports over all others to my friends and forces-collegues. if i havent convinced the undecided prospective buyers yet, it should be easy when my AK gets here if it lives up to its bura potential :)

The long stretch of tribal territory that separated British India from Afghanistan…was (and is still) a rugged, mountainous land with Beau Geste forts and stone sangars, where every house is a small fortress with a rifle tower. The Pathan inhabitants of these inhospitable regions were tall, lean, hawkish men, noted for their guerrilla skills, their treachery and their cruelty. Dressed in turbans, earth-stained garments and rope sandals, they merged easily into the landscape and moved about in it with possessive familiarity. From time immemorial they had raided the fertile plains and carried on blood feuds with each other. War was their occupation and killing their favorite pastime. In these encounters the British took few prisoners and the Pathans none at all…The Pathans were intimately familiar with the order of battle of Britain’s Indian Army and made their own evaluation, said to be better than an inspecting general’s, of the quality and worth of each battalion to appear on the Frontier. When a new battalion arrived or old one filled up with young, untried soldiers, they would be sure to test their mettle: to steal their weapons and give them a baptism of fire. The Gurkhas quickly earned the Pathan’s respect. It was said of the Mahsud that he respected only the Prophet and a Gurkha with a kukri. Pathans were known to call out to Gurkhas: “We don’t want you. Where are the red turban men [Sikhs] and the white folk?”
Byron Falwell, The Gurkhas

Punker, after having a 15" AK and a 20" Siru by Bura, you don't have a thing to worry about. If your friends and associates don't think your AK is quality, they will never know what that is.:D

I sure am glad to see that some of these blades may get a chance to save some ones hide.

See the GTA thread. We'll have three confirmed in the field and maybe more. Not enough but it's a start.

Originally posted by Bill Martino ...three confirmed in the field and maybe more. Not enough but it's a start.
Word should begin to spread.
From a tiny acorn......

We are giving a third off regular price to anybody in the filed over there. We would like to supply them for nothing but can't stay in business doing it that way. However, we have some pretty patriotic forumites and if there's a way for them to send a khukuri to some fighting man in the field in Afghanistan we'll try our best to get it done.

Back