Khyber Knife

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Finally got around to making a Khyber Knife or a Charay. Been wanting to try one of these forever but just hadn't gotten around to it. Using my Reality Check recipe, I made this version this weekend :) about 23in overall with a 17 3/8in blade from 1/4in thick 5160. I don't forge so instead of the "T" back spine, I kept the full thickness of the blade to just before the point. This cuts with real authority!!!! Very sword like for sure! Very fun and challenging piece.View attachment 909770

Sweet... Any coming up for sale??
Eventually this one will make it to market :) I think this size might be a one of a kind but I’m already thinking of a smaller sized version. Lots of possibilities with the concept.

Sweet, Not sure if you recall that big black Khyber you made for me some years back! I was trying to find Pix o fit but could not. I sure do miss it.

I do recall those! They were born from the same concept but took a little bit of diversion from traditional designs.

I couldn't leave it alone! After handling it for a few days, I decided to change it just a bit by raising the bevels a bit and eliminating the wide flats on the blade. Wish I'd have weighed it prior but it is now 2 pounds. The extra material removal moved the balance a little more towards the handle and it now balances about 2.5in in front of the handle. The spine itself is still full thickness to within 1.5in from the point. I thought I was happy with it before but now it feels even better in my hand!!!View attachment 913435

Nice work Bill. What is the story behind that design. I assume it's supposed to be good for something other than stabbing

Nice work Bill. What is the story behind that design. I assume it's supposed to be good for something other than stabbing

Despite appearances, Khyber knives were historically used for slashing rather than stabbing.

Link:

Bill, it would be cool if you could add a small fuller near the spine, for 1/2 to 2/3 of the blade length. It would give the whole the appearance of the classic T spine.

n2s

Last edited:
I believe the skinny point was designed to pierce chain mail armor. The original T shaped spines add rigidity to the thin edges and increase lateral strength. It’s a very efficient design and well thought out for it’s intended purposes. In this size, it is suitable for knife and short sword roles. I’d think they were used similarly to how the Samurai used the wakazashi.

Back