Kifaru Scout cold weather loadout

another great review:thumbup:

I sold my scout and replaced it last month with the xray. Still like many things about the scout for an edc type bag as the xray is just a heavy overkill for me. I wish they would scale it down. I'm hoping i take to it better.

The scout really is one of the best packs i ever had. Long day hikes were so much nicer with it than other normal back packs. Like you mentioned just keeping your back from sweating was a big plus.

another great review:thumbup:

I sold my scout and replaced it last month with the xray. Still like many things about the scout for an edc type bag as the xray is just a heavy overkill for me. I wish they would scale it down. I'm hoping i take to it better.

The scout really is one of the best packs i ever had. Long day hikes were so much nicer with it than other normal back packs. Like you mentioned just keeping your back from sweating was a big plus.

I actually had a G1 Xray but sold it. I really liked and it am going to get another one but it will be the G2 version with the updated torso pads.

This is my first Scout and I am stoked! It's perfect for my dayhiking needs year round.

LMT, did you get the piggy-back kit for the Scout and Zulu? I've done that with my EMR (weight too big of a set up!), and the Scout was excellent for scouting and day hikes after we set up our main camp.

ROCK6

That a slick set up and I like the gear choices. I guess one question is whether your z-lite is slapping you in the butt on every step or not. I love your equipment list, its given me some ideas. Thanks.

LMT, did you get the piggy-back kit for the Scout and Zulu? I've done that with my EMR (weight too big of a set up!), and the Scout was excellent for scouting and day hikes after we set up our main camp.

ROCK6

I am going to order the kit to piggyback along with a couple hybrid top zip long pockets for the side of the zulu.

Is that an omni belt?

Yes it is. It's the padded one.

That a slick set up and I like the gear choices. I guess one question is whether your z-lite is slapping you in the butt on every step or not. I love your equipment list, its given me some ideas. Thanks.

It actually didn't and I really get annoyed when that happens. It's actually strapped slightly towards the front and sticks out a little under the front pouch. That pad is so light it doesn't move when strapped tight.

I took it out for a dayhike today and can't say enough about how it felt. And no sweaty back followed by chills after the pack is off and you've stop exerting yourself. It was in the low 30's today (Fahrenheit).

Found a tip on a different way to attach the shoulder straps to prevent a heavily loaded Scout from tilting away from the body on the top of the pack.
Basically you undo the end of the shoulder strap by slipping the three-bar slider thru the attachment and reattach it to the spot where the lumbar pad attaches. So you'll have two three-bar sliders in one place.

Pics from the kifaru thread.

I did a segmented 10 mile hike last weekend with the Scout. It almost forgot I had it on. Such a great butt-pack!

Last edited:
I had my Scout set up that way per Mel Terkla's advice. It is for when you don't use the omni belt. When i sold it i put it back the way it came which was ALOT harder to do than expected so if people do this trick i recommend making sure you don't get your straps twisted or anything.

I had my Scout set up that way per Mel Terkla's advice. It is for when you don't use the omni belt. When i sold it i put it back the way it came which was ALOT harder to do than expected so if people do this trick i recommend making sure you don't get your straps twisted or anything.

I bought the scout from Crossada, and ended up ordering an Omnibelt w/ "Powerpull". Pack kicks ass for dayhikes all winter, and I'm looking forward to loading it up and really getting some more use out of it this summer. I like how well it carries on the waist belt. I kinda wish the shoulder straps were a little bigger, but then again, this is the first pack like this I've owned. I think I just want thicker shoulder straps because I'm used to conventional backpacks.

-Nadz

I just picked up a used Scout as well :) got a belt w/ a couple of stash-it pockets coming

I bought a Camelbak 72 oz water beast, fits very nicely- the water beast versions are wider and shorter than the "normal" Omega bladders which work well for the Scout, I'm pretty sure the 102 oz one would fit as well

the pack is quite roomy for only be rated @ 21 liters, shouldn't have any trouble getting a couple of days out of it

The Scout is really a very unique pack…both as a stand-alone lumbar bag, larger shoulder bag or small pack:

JungleScout-4.jpg

JungleScout-6.jpg

JungleScout-1.jpg

I think you’ll really enjoy mtwarden,

ROCK6

Great post and review. This looks like the ticket for day hikes and as you demonstrated, light overnighters.

^ I think so, your previous email is what convinced me I was headed in the right direction, just took almost a year to find a used one! :D

Its sometimes scary to see how alot of guys here have alot of the same gear, Like the ENO hammocks and the integral designs poncho.

Great pics from both posters, looks like a nifty little bag, But ill stick with my gearslingers for light travel and use a full sized bag for the long haul.

I bought the scout from Crossada, and ended up ordering an Omnibelt w/ "Powerpull". Pack kicks ass for dayhikes all winter, and I'm looking forward to loading it up and really getting some more use out of it this summer. I like how well it carries on the waist belt. I kinda wish the shoulder straps were a little bigger, but then again, this is the first pack like this I've owned. I think I just want thicker shoulder straps because I'm used to conventional backpacks.

-Nadz
I'm glad your liking it because i know how much i've missed it since i sold it. The Xray is growing on me more and more. It is alot heavier bag to carry the same stuff i was with the Scout. The organization is great and i have used the extra space a few times now over stuffing some bulky items. The G2 Scout looks like it has the same great design layout as the Xray but i'm going to stick with this one i think as it meets several needs better.

Back