Recommendation? Kitchen knife (~210mm), $150-250 price range

Well another complete novice asking for guidance :) or pointing me into some direction.

I am cooking a lot, for a birthday I got 15cm WMF "Grand Class" CrMoV knife and it works so much better than what I was using normally that I have decided to also upgrade my 20cm chief knife (also WMF, but much worse). The 15cm has been actually great but it just becomes a bit short for diagonal slicing of carrots etc. so... i want something longer.

I am in search for a chef knife, non stainless (high carbon, taking care about it after each use is perfectly acceptable for me - sanmai design would be also fine although I am worried about moving into very expensive price range), for every day use, used for vegetables (yeah, I know, another strange vegetarian :D) so rocking edge would be nice. I was looking a little bit into direction of japan, gyoto, probably santoku would fit better but they are too short. I am not interested into damascus as I dont think that brings in anything except the look (but I am not an expert). I am open to any suggestion/direction, also to any relevant material to read.

I like for instance this shape:
34981-201-0_1.jpg

I tried to do investigation on my own but it looks like the internet is so filled with fake reviews that it is impossible to decide :( Also guides I have found are just paid commercials writting a bit of text and then offering specific brand typically hidden behind some amazon link with affiliate tag and I believe that I cant get relevant opinion from those.

Maybe an important detail, I am from Europe, meaning that USA knife brings me additional price raise in form of taxes and postage so I might get a better deal if the knife is not made in USA.

Last edited:
6786B8E8-49D5-4BBA-8F24-B7DEFEBAD2BB.jpeg
I make chef knives and other kitchen cutlery, high carbon steel. The knife pictured above is a 8” chef knife I’ve made. If you are still looking for a knife feel free to send me a email at edgeknifeworks@gmail.com

Back