Kitchen knife poll fail, very sad.

I still like my Old Chicago Cutlery knives from 1996. Mine are USA made; I don't know if they still are.

I'm with you on this one. People will vote for what they have to justify buying it. My buddy's wife spent $600 on the crappiest cutco knife set and thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread (no pun intended). Handles are cheaply made, poorly constructed, knives require sharpening frequently, carving knife has a flimsy blade, and SHE SPENT $600 ON THEM. Also, that poll is BS. All of the finalists, except Heinkels, are the only brands to choose from anyways. You don't see the world's top chefs on TV using them now, do you?

Notice how many of those Cutco comments are by Cutco reps advertising themselves? :D

Hahaha, I understand this perfectly. We have an untouched set of Cutco knives that was part of our wedding gifts still sitting in storage. My wife won't use it because she thinks they're too nice, I just let her think that.

Cutco is surprisingly well liked even among accomplished home chefs. They're sharp and the company resharpens them (or gives a replacement knife) for free when you send dull ones in and pay shipping.

That, plus they feel good about buying them when their kids, relatives or friends kids sell them during the summer break between high school and college.

This reminds me, note to self hide all the knives on the magblock when I go out of town! I'd hate to have to hurt one of my wife's co-workers for messing up one of my good knives. Sad fact of the matter is probably 90% of people out side of this forum have no clue what even a passably good knife is. My evidence? How many times have you walked into somebody's kitchen and the knives aren't just dull but dangerously so? Somewhere in there is the Pampered Chef knives with the sharpener built into the "sheath."

Voted, left my own comment. :)

"Cutco is the biggest piece of crap made on the planet. Anyone posting it’s the best is living in his mommy’s basement trying to sell the crap to unsuspecting idiots and trying to pass it off as a “job”. Get a life you slackers and a real job, stop pushing your junk." :thumbup:

:p

"Well liked" seems very strong. They're not bad knives at all; they're just marketed in ways that make selling dope seem more noble.

Dope does have less of a mark up and you generally aren't dealing it to unwary relatives who end up enabling by way of a sympathy purchase (payable in a three month installment plan). :D

"Well liked" seems very strong. They're not bad knives at all; they're just marketed in ways that make selling dope seem more noble.

This is from personal experience. Perhaps not a large enough sample, but I know at least six well to do accomplished home cooks who really like Cutco for the reasons I mentioned. My wife is among them. All have and use other much better knives but I'm amazed several have full sets which are used regularly.

All are otherwise normal wonderful intelligent, even worldly people whom I'm proud and honored to have in my life.

http://cookingequipment.about.com/b/2011/02/11/readers-choice-awards-2011-best-cutlery.htm

This is both sad and funny to see how people view their kitchen cutlery. Every piece of cutco crap that I've sharpened for neighbors has nearly melted on my paper wheel set (steel is ridiculously soft). Kershaw's entry level Komachi series kitchen knives would outperform cutco any day.

Anyone else with me on this?

:grumpy:

You call Cutco "crap", yet you use paper wheels?? That's the funny part.

@ mano I,

I stand corrected on "well liked," but do not rescind opinions previously given about their quality ("not bad at all") or marketing.

I've never owned, used, or even set my eyes on a Cutco knife, and haven't yet had the opportunity to interact with their admirable and well renowned sales team either.

But can the knives themselves really be as rotten as they're made out to be? 440A and Made in Olean, NY sounds like a pretty reasonable blade to me.

Back