Kitchen knives for the non-pro, non-home-chef normal person

So, there I was, pondering kitchen knives. Let me explain. I have a friend who is a major home-chef person. I bought her a set of the Global knives some years ago because I'd heard that the Globals were very highly regarded by professionals. They are light, fit her hand well, and are very sharp. She is quite pleased with them. I gave it no more thought.

Then, I needed some kitchen knives as I moved out of a hotel into an apartment. She talked me into something santoku, or santoku something. Some no-name brand out of Target, I'm sure. The steel seems terribly soft to me. I don't abuse my knives, use a wood cutting board and rarely cut anything more challenging than a pork chop with them. But, they won't keep an edge. Fast forward a half dozen years.

Now, I've been bitten by the knife bug. It's horrible. I can't believe how much money I've spent on sharp slivers of metal. I'm a cuboid dwelling engineer and have zero use for a heavy duty tactical folder, really, but I have one in my pocket. Granted, it's an exceptionally nice one, but still. Wait. I did use my Zero Tolerance 0550 to cut a turkey burger in two to share with my girlfriend (not the same as the friend who cooks). So, there's that. "Yes, my ZT excels at food prep." Right.

Anyway, I'm pondering setting up house with this new girl and I'm thinking that not only am I prepared to spend the cash to get flatware that actually matches--maybe even some plates--but I also want some decent kitchen knives.

But, let me be clear: I'm not a pro. I don't even want to be a pro; I have no illusions in this area.

What I would like is a small set of really good knives, or at least a fantastic 4" or 6" utility/paring knife, which is what I will use almost all the time anyway. Also, I am a damascus freak, so if I could get a lovely damascus version of whatever, I'd be all over it.

So, I was reading. Shun seems nice. They have some sweet looking knives that are also damascus. Hot. But, Globals are still bouncing around in my brain. The best part, to me, is that I can find both Shun and Global knives on Amazon, my addiction facilitator of choice at this point.

Under no circumstances is anyone to enflame my desire to own a custom-made zillion dollar set of explosively-driven nuclear laser professional chef's knives when really what I need is something that the well-liked relative of a excellent chef would have on-hand in his kitchen, especially if he were attempting to lure a particularly hot babe of tender years, which is fundamentally my situation (except for the excellent chef relative part).

Not a fan of either global or shun, but shun probably would be better.

if you want slightly better, misono is considered the best box brand japanese knives.

After buying dud kitchen knives at Costco, I picked up a couple of these this week.

[video=youtube;yoYV3n7Thf8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoYV3n7Thf8[/video]

Go here http://www.epicureanedge.com, look for: Yoshikane Damascus SLD. Get 1 or 2 if you can afford both (petty/util + Gyuto). Excellent knife/knives for portioning fast food or take out ;) Oh and these stainless knives won't rust just by looking at them, so no need to guard them from non-knife ppl.

Two Japanese brands that I feel are a very good value without a lot of hype are.
Tahamagane Pro, They are a single homogenous steel And Kasumi which is a Damascus patterned cladding with VG-10 if you wish to have fancier looking cutlery.

Laurence

You might want to set up shop first having bought my first home in 2008 I can say its stupid expensive.

On a cooking level, 99% of my home cooking knife needs were taken care of with just three knives: a paring knife, filet knife and 7"-9" chef knife. I use mostly crappier lower end knives from makers like Henckels and I produce stuff like this at home pics below. I personally like function over form and industrial type kitchen equipment, I live close enough to Chinatown, NYC where this is an entire strip of stores to buy used restaurant equipment for cheap.

A forum member mentioned F Dick as a good choice as well, I think he might have a shop and I would like to get something from him just to try a new brand out. I personally am very lazy and my wife puts our knives in the dishwasher too so I like anything that is easily serviceable i.e. a softer steel that doesn't stain that will take to a whetstone quickly. I've only purchased chef knives in the $40-$150 range though and have never owned one of those pretty Japanese ones so I can't speak to how useful those are. I'm not a pro so I don't think I would go beyond that price range for kitchen knives though.

Most of the Henckels, chef style or santuku have been good though so long as they had that proper shape. The globals were likeable but they kinda hurt my wrist from the one that I had years ago so I never bought another. But for me so long as its chef knife shaped and with a 8" or 9" blade, and sharp I'm going to be digging it. PS. That's my mom's fried rice recipe. I'm not a pro but I would put my mom's recipe made by me up against anyone in the world and would give them a run for their money. = )

9717_128037273398_906824_n.jpg

4580_81913758398_275311_n.jpg

387901_10150534142103399_1372431395_n.jpg

289939_10151029818098399_1489419987_o.jpg

Last edited:
On the retail side, check out the Miyabi knives (VG-10, SG-2) made by Henckels/Japan. IMHO, they're the current "top dog" amongst the brick & mortar brands. If you like powder steels, the Artisan has an SG-2 blade and is currently on sale.

On the e-side, you'll gain better performance to cost value, lose the flawless F&F, and other bells and whistles. The Tojiro DP, Fujiwara FKM, and Suisin Western are the most often recommended least expensive / most decent Japanese starter knives. The Tojiro has a better blade steel, but f&f, handle, etc. is a notch or two lower. The Suisin and Fujiwara has a lesser blade steel, but everything else is better.

There's plenty of more expensive, higher performance knives out there,but your preferences should lead the way on them.

I don't want to thread jack but you can PM me?

It's bi-color corn in chicken coconut curry soup with lime. I kinda fudged a Thai recipe because we live near an awesome farm that sells corn so fresh you can eat it raw.

That soup looks fantastic, details please!

Last edited:
What I would like is a small set of really good knives, or at least a fantastic 4" or 6" utility/paring knife, which is what I will use almost all the time anyway. Also, I am a damascus freak, so if I could get a lovely damascus version of whatever, I'd be all over it..
Well, from the eyes of a home cook, go to a good hardware store and buy a selection of OLD HICKORY kitchen blades. Get a couple of their paring knives, a utility, and a cleaver. Also see if they have any RADA, get a few of them. go the next aisle over and get a two grit sharpening stone. For $100 you will now have about 10 knives that can take care of anything you will see in the kitchen. learn to use the stone and you can easily get the old hickory shaving sharp and they will stay that way a long time. at the same time, place an order with Jay Fisher or Phil Wilson for one of their kitchen knives; be prepared to wait several months for the knife. JMHO
the old sailor

Well, from the eyes of a home cook, go to a good hardware store and buy a selection of OLD HICKORY kitchen blades. Get a couple of their paring knives, a utility, and a cleaver. Also see if they have any RADA, get a few of them. go the next aisle over and get a two grit sharpening stone. For $100 you will now have about 10 knives that can take care of anything you will see in the kitchen. learn to use the stone and you can easily get the old hickory shaving sharp and they will stay that way a long time. at the same time, place an order with Jay Fisher or Phil Wilson for one of their kitchen knives; be prepared to wait several months for the knife. JMHO
the old sailor

You only really need a good quality 8-10" chef's knife. To hell with the rest of the knives until you want to specialize in certain tasks. Go with either a Fujiwara FKH gyuto for carbon or a Misono 440 Gyuto for stainless and be done with it.

You only really need a good quality 8-10" chef's knife. To hell with the rest of the knives until you want to specialize in certain tasks. Go with either a Fujiwara FKH gyuto for carbon or a Misono 440 Gyuto for stainless and be done with it.

To recap, I'm not a pro cook. I'm really not. I have a largish chef-ish knife that I rarely use because for batchelor cooking, I've just never needed it. Yes, I do stuff more complicated than PBJ sandwiches, but to whack a potato and an onion along with a chicken breast, I've just not seen the need for anything more than what looks like a larger paring knife, really. Pathetic, I know.

That said, I think I want a cool chef's knife, but that's partly because I'll be cooking for two, soon, and partly because I just like the way they look. If you're cooking for two, you need a knife that's twice as big, right?

OK, I just looked at a pic of a Fujiwara 8-1/4" Denka No Hoto Chef Knife. Oh. My. God. That thing is GORGEOUS! All that for a mere $1,000!

I should probably take Scott's advice, buy some inexpensive knives and put the rest of the money into some sort of culinary course. Naw. That makes too much sense.

I should probably take Scott's advice, buy some inexpensive knives and put the rest of the money into some sort of culinary course. Naw. That makes too much sense.

buy a good paring knife and a western style cleaver; for me a cleaver is a whole lot easier to use than a traditional chef's knife. Then, order a custom, collector's grade kitchen knife from a top American maker.
Scott

For under $100 you can have a good Japanese knife like a Tojiro or fujiwara.

A "set" of knives should consist of a Chef knife a paring knife and a bread knife, once you have these three you can further refine your needs based on what you cook.

It does not matter if you are a professional or home cook a good knife is a good knife. Personally I would stay away from stuff that looks too fancy and stick with a good small maker as the quality is typically much higher.

i'm with knifenut here. specially for the cheaper end of japanese knives, can't go wrong with them.

Ive had much luck with yoshihiro!

I hear 50/50 but luckily theres a store in west los angeles I can visit and inspect with my own eyes and hands.

for the price its very hard to beat.

as for cheap, misono is about as cheap as ill go.

miss my konosuke gyuto...

I'm a custom maker and I can and regularly do, make custom kitchen knives for about the same $$$ (or even less) as some of the higher end factory kinves. This allows you to get the knives you want, made to your specs., with the materials of your choice. All my contact info. is listed below. Get in touch with me if you're interested. I'd be glad to give you a quote with no strings attached.

Jon at Japanese knife imports can help, I remember he and some others used 180 mm petty as a line knife. It's the perfect size for the home.

Richmond Artifex 210mm in AEB-L. It's not damascus, but these days it seems the most affordable damascus kitchen knives are in VG-10, which I feel is a little chippy. Plus it's easier to sharpen, and can take as keen an edge as you can put on it.

Back