Recommendation? Kitchen Knives?

So I've tried to search the forums but I've yet to find anything about the topic?
I sadly just feel like "kitchen knives" are a totally different ball game than the common edc folder or fixed blade ? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is there any kitchen knife set you guys recommend?

Or maybe I could buy a block..then purchase a few pairing knives from "company A" then a couple steak knives from "company B" and finish off the block with a nice utility knife from "company C"?

No need to elaborate your suggestions, just simply reply with a brand name and I can research the rest.

Money isn't a issue so go wild.

I prefer Japanese to Western style kitchen knives. MAC Professional. Misono UX10. Konosuke. Miyabi SG2 (Henckels). Akifusa/Harayuki SRS-15. Seamount Knifeworks Chef's Knife in CPM 154. S90V if you can get on their books (I am still waiting). Carter Cutlery. Personally, I like the Spartan Blades Phrike as a steak knife.

salmonkiller salmonkiller : I'm picking up a new petty and sujihiki (watermelon killer) soon. You like the Shibata in R2/SG2 (SS clad) or the Masakage Koishi in Super Blue (SS clad)?

The Shibata is a wicked slicer like a light saber great for detailed work. The Masakage Koishi is a work horse and would be my choice for an all around knife.I would seriously consider the
Takeshi Saji Aogami Super Custom Series if you are going Superblue(most excellent carbon claded).

Takeshi Saji Aogami Super Custom Series
Sujihiki
would be my recommendation because it is a custom knife with most excellent F&F and the price is right. You will have to be careful with the Shibata's tip as it is very delicate, but great for detailed work.The Masakage Koishi is a tank and workhorse. The F&F on the Shibata is a little better, but it's a much more delicate knife.They both are produced in the same village in Japan.
takeshi-saji-aogami-super-custom-series-santoku-180mm-linen-micarta-handle
takeshi-saji-aogami-super-custom-series-santoku-180mm-linen-micarta-handle
B]

Last edited:
Looks as if the Takeshi Saji Aogami Super Custom petty/paring (90mm) and suji in linen micarta are out of stock @ JCK. The linen micarta handles have sold me :), but I also like the tips on the Shibatas (cutting out strawberry stems and similar). Price is within the same range so this make it an interesting choice...

Last edited:
The black micarta is really nice. I wish I bought every knife before the sold out .Don't let the ironwood scare you away as the knife will be one of you favorites for sure.He is a master knife maker for sure.........Good luck

salmonkiller salmonkiller adamlau adamlau

So I just looked up everything you fellas are talking about and the knives that stood out to me the most are the Takeshi Saji Aogami Super Custom Series..
What's the deal with this "super clad" steel? I figured "top" Japanese would be using VG-10 for everything ?

Edit: I'm a jackass, it seems super clad is also made by hitachi and it simply is "clad" with stainless?

Last edited:
The core of the blade is Aogomi Super Blue (high carbon) steel which is then clad with a softer stainless steel to improve toughness and resist corrosion. Hence, the blade inherits the properties of both high carbon and stainless steels.

I suggest grabbing a
Takeshi Saji Aogami Super Custom Series Gyuto Linen Micarta Handle the 180 mm is still in stock and would be my suggestion for a fist knife to start your set.Remember that you have to clean and dry your carbon knife after each use.Superblue is me favorite Carbon steel for a kitchen knife.

salmonkiller salmonkiller : Do you think the Shibata gyuto with its thin tip and blade stock can handle a pumpkin?
No wrong tool for the job.The SG2 heat treat is excellent and has never chipped, but it is a very thin , light , and pleasure to use and is a lightweight true slicer.I would not cut a pumkin with it.Consider The Masakage Koishi or Saji . There is a store that sells Masakage in Calgary that's wear knives are sold.The exchange rate is in our favor. Make sure you convert CAD to USD to get the correct pricing.You can save some bucks if you purchase from Calgary.The prices posted are in CAD make sure you convert to USD for accurate price.A+ company and free shipping

Last edited:
That shop in Calgary certainly has outstanding pricing on Masakage products :) . CKTG is expected to restock Shibata within 30 days. Have not yet heard back from JCK. When I do, I'll pull the trigger on what I need...

Koki Iwahara at JCK mentioned 30 to 60 days or more due to large backorders. I can wait...

Your idea of buying a block then buying knives based on your needs is perfect. I don't know what you expect to spend. I've been pleased with a couple of Forchners that lack snob appeal but work well for me. The ones I have are with the hard black handles. They take and hold a good edge and serve my purposes well.

I've been using the Yaxell Dragon kitchen knives. Black Micarta handles with a pretty tough steel you can beat on, and not too expensive. They are also the sharpest knives I have gotten out of the box.

JV6qbzc.jpg

iYsrWlk.jpg

Back