Kizer Barbosa

Anyone tried this one yet? I like the size and blade shape, and wondering if anyone in BF land has one and wants to share their experiences...

I like the blade shape of it from the pictures I have seen so far.

I am concerned about the large amount of jimping being right in the way of where the finger lands after hitting the flipper tab to open it though.

I am concerned about the large amount of jimping being right in the way of where the finger lands after hitting the flipper tab to open it though.
Yep, you and me both. I'm curious if it's possible to grind away some of the jimping and the slight ramp up in the handle, or if the stop pin is too close...

Yeah, that gimping looks a little savage. I guess it all depends on how it flips. If it's light switch, your fingertip will drag over that gauntlet every time you deploy. If it's more push button then it should be less of an issue. I'm probably going to pick one of these up soon so I'll share my thoughts when I do.
Kizer-Mikkel-Willumsen-Barbosa-OD-Green-G-10-BHQ-52449-er-spine.jpg

I just got a Barbosa and the action is indeed smooth. The gimping on the handle is definitely not an issue. But I like gimping and wish this extended even further, from the handle onto the blade.

The handle is just a bit thicker than that of, say, the Dukes, for example. I mention that only because it is a little wider than it appeared to me in photos. It is comfortable in the hand.

This is a good-looking knife. I wanted one as soon as I saw it.

The G-10 scales are moderately grippy. The drop point, hollow grind VG-10 blade is sharp. It's a good slicer. The clip is reversible. I wouldn't call it deep-pocket. It sticks out further than some other Kizer clips and is a slight hot spot in my hand. Not enough to be a deal-breaker.

The liner lock is early and rock solid. The blade is well-centered and will shake closed with little effort. It's a fine flipper and fun to play with. Flipping action is snappy but not crazy strong enough to jump out of your hand. There is no manual opening, unlike many of the other Kizer Vanguards I own, like the Gemini and the Intrepids, which I can slide open with my thumb.

Out-of-the-box, the Barbosa initially struck me as competent but nothing special. That quickly turned out to be unfair. After a few days of use I ended up liking it at lot. This is another home run for the value-priced Kizer Vanguards.

Thanks to Kizer and Danish designer Mikkel Williamson for coming up with a 3-inch folder that just barely tips the scale over 3 oz. The Barbosa is very comfortable for pocket EDCing.

Too many of my favorite Kizers, the Gemini and the Dukes included, have blades that are just over 3 inches long. That is puzzling, considering the knife restrictions in many places. I hope there are many more 3-inch or just under folders like the Barbosa in Kizer's future and mine.

I like this. Had a Begleiter, but it was just a bit loo big, and I didn't care for the painted blade. Not a bad knife though. This might be the one for the small economical Kizer, and it's a flipper.

I picked up one of these yesterday and can also confirm that the gimping is not an issue.

We're still getting to know each other, but first impressions are that it's very well made. The design is extremely well executed. The weight and balance, in particular, feels tremendous in the hand and the blade is frankly beautiful.

Highly recommended. Especially at the $70 price.

Jeff

If you like the popular Envoy and 3-inch blades, the Barbosa is similar in size and may be for you.

The Barbosa has great ergos, G-10 scales, a somewhat thicker handle (due to the liners) compared to the Envoy, open pillar construction with barrel spacers, and gimping.

And the price is nice.

Back