KMG Horizontal Grinder!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Now I can make knives sideways too!

I am just getting everything set up here.

044-13.jpg

Speed Controller! It was easier to wire up than I thought it would be.

043-8.jpg

Dude, put a full length platen on there and grind some swords! I need to get an adjustable table for my disc griner so I can use it like a horizontal.

-Xander

Dude, put a full length platen on there and grind some swords! I need to get an adjustable table for my disc griner so I can use it like a horizontal.

-Xander

That would be really nice for the flats, they get tough to do on big stuff.

I may try to make some sort of 45 degree or adjustable workrest and maybe a second platen for it. (for chamfering stuff)

Right now I have a wobble in the drive wheel, I am going to take it apart one more time but am still not sure about the problem. It is one of three things...

I am really happy with the grinder, it will help keep everything square on the folders!

Did you make the platen or you ordered as kit?

I had to assemble a few things but the platen came with it. It isn't really a kit but did take all day to install.

I upgraded it versus the stock KMG, it has an extra extension for 72" belts and a rubber drive wheel with work rest. Variable speed too! (all from the maker of KMG; Beaumont Metal Works)

It would be somewhat easy to make the platen, it is angle iron and flat ground steel for the most part.

Last edited:
That would be really nice for the flats, they get tough to do on big stuff.

I may try to make some sort of 45 degree or adjustable workrest and maybe a second platen for it. (for chamfering stuff)

I am really happy with the grinder, it will help keep everything square on the folders!

I guess it hasn't really sunk in for you yet.....Dude, you've got a MILL! making a 0 to 90 degree work rest will not be a problem.:thumbup:

I guess it hasn't really sunk in for you yet.....Dude, you've got a MILL! making a 0 to 90 degree work rest will not be a problem.:thumbup:

Oh yeah, the mill! lol

I have a lot planned for the mill, I need to order a bunch of metal soon.

You can use aluminum plate to make a lot of your fixtures. Cheaper and lighter than most steel, at least I think it's cheaper. :)

Great tip!

I have been comparing prices on 6061 Al for practice and fixturing. I have found some good deals on drops but want the right sizes...

If it's just going to be for practice, you could use 1018 cold roll. Should be cheaper than tool steel. 6061 alumin, is considered aircraft grade. There is cheaper aluminum but I'm not sure what the number on it is. Just find something cheap to practice on. Aluminum cuts a lot easier than steel. Some of the softer stuff will "gall up" on your end mill.if you aren't careful. Just make some chips, have fun, but be careful, safety first.:thumbup:

Hey Daniel, I'm curious as to why you decided on a horizontal grinder opposed to a disc grinder? Personally, I like the effective sfpm variable speed from moving closer or further from center. I find I use this more than changing speeds, but I still do change it though. If I plan to do a lot of hogging I use a higher speed and and just move into center when I approach my final dimension. But I have never used a horizontal grinder so I just don't know.

-Xander

Cool! Now you can grind lying down. :D

Finally, someone gets it! :D

Hey Daniel, I'm curious as to why you decided on a horizontal grinder opposed to a disc grinder? Personally, I like the effective sfpm variable speed from moving closer or further from center. I find I use this more than changing speeds, but I still do change it though. If I plan to do a lot of hogging I use a higher speed and and just move into center when I approach my final dimension. But I have never used a horizontal grinder so I just don't know.

-Xander

I can get into those tight spots in a folder and everything is 100% square.

It will only be for grinding the perimeter of a knife... that way I can switch back and forth when I need to with ease.

KMG Horizontal Grinder = Cool

That's right! :D

Hey I bet I could fit that thing next to my bed and make knives while laying down!!!!!:D

I can get into those tight spots in a folder and everything is 100% square.

It will only be for grinding the perimeter of a knife... that way I can switch back and forth when I need to with ease.

Ok, the small wheel makes the difference. One thing I do with my bandsaw and table saw is I spray a dry teflon lube on the table, makes it easier to slide things around, don't know if it will be needed with such small pieces for a folder, but it helped with larger heavier pieces.

-X

Ok, the small wheel makes the difference. One thing I do with my bandsaw and table saw is I spray a dry teflon lube on the table, makes it easier to slide things around, don't know if it will be needed with such small pieces for a folder, but it helped with larger heavier pieces.

-X

That is a good idea, what brand do you use?

I am going to add a micarta piece to my work rests eventually too.

How was your experience with Beaumont Metal Works? I was going to purchase one of these, however after receiving a problem with a bolt fitting one of my KMG arms right after a new purchase I was told it was taped properly at the factory and just to go ahead and try re-tapping, to say the least I was not happy with CS. It's been some time since my experience so I was curious how your experience was.

Back