Knife Advice for Cutting Squash

As a knife maker who almost entirely cooks vegetables I recommend a cai dao (aka chinese cleaver). Go for a slightly tougher steel, 5160 or AEBL around 60rc, about 200mm and 3 or 4mm at the spine
The extra blade height and weight will help with chopping though them, tougher steel to avoid chipping, but not as thick as western cleavers so it doesn't wedge as much.

as a former chef, a 10" chef's knife is (in my opinion) the best for all kitchen tasks, including squash processing. because of the stiction that occurs when cutting things like squash, you must take extra care when slicing, but more important is to first establish a firm base so that the squash stays sturdy on the cutting board. Just slice off a thin piece to create a "flat" to prevent the squash from rolling around.

I use a basic Victorinox chef's knife, which works fine, although a cleaver would be ideal for obvious reasons.

The secret to cutting a Spaghetti Squash in half lengh ways is to cook the Squash first! Then half it & scoop out the seeds, put whatever seasonings, cheese, Meats etc on it or in it and then broil it. Easy Peasey & you’re not hacking at or cutting an unsafe Squash & damaging your knives.

Back