Knife for bears

Hello everybody

Being nwe in this forum, I hope my English might be good enough to make you understanding my issue.
What I´m interested in, looking for the answer since years and getting many different answers, is, how long the blade of a knife should really minimum be to reach the heart of an adult bear. That depends of the size of the animal, of course. In case of a black bear for example, let´s say around 300 pounds, I suppose a length of 6 to 7 inch should work. But what´s about a 1000 pound up grizzly?
Please let´s not talk about the chances anyhow and about such stuff, that a spear, hand gun cal. 500 or a cannon is by far the better choice let´s talk about the knives. It´s only for the psyche,because I´m aware about the chances. But nevertheless that´s extremely important.

Making survival trips in Europe, Canada and Alaska, I´ve been among dangerous animals lots of time. Last June tracking near Kodiak Island I used my bear spray and hurt myself never will take this kind of defense again. As I don´t carry shooting weapons, I have to trust in a good knife. Is anyone in this forum with anatomical knowledge? Have my doubts while looking at an 8 inch blade and thinking about the size of a very big bear . I know that the heart is not the best idea to kill a bear, but that´s what I like to know. Also it is said that the heart is pretty close to the chest wall similar to a human being. By having that in mind 8 inch might work. On the other hand the knife shouldn´t be unnecessarily long, as it has to be fast to handle that means as short as possible.
Also the tip shouldn´t be shaped as knives like Busses, as those seems to be not pointed enough, and the CS trailmaster for ex. might have a too thick blade, means to slow in action.

For any helpful informations in this issue thanks in advance. You´re the last hope.
An rondel dagger will work great, it’s an stiff pure stabber, any other knife will not work good, since the bears hide is too thick for slicing, an rondel dagger will go right through the bear, but I would recommend stabbing its neck, much better chance of you living, and bear dying then you stabbing its chest hoping you hit its heart, you’ll only get one chance after it gets on top of you

Halbschaf was last seen here 2016... I have an inkling that the Bear won.

So would it be save to conclude that going after a bear with a knife will only be successful if said beast has already been laid to rest by different means?

Try a SAK, maybe you won't piss him off too much. I heard bears like to play with their food when they are pissed.

Back