Knife G. Sakai - questions

On a fair here in Germany I bought a huge knife made by G. Sakai (blade length 9.5", overall 14.75"), which looks quite similar to the Coldsteel trailmasters. The blade is labelled "HSEK - High speed edge knife". The seller could not tell me much about that knife, maybe anybody else can.

Is G. Sakai a well known knife manufacturer? What does the blade imprint mean? Does it name a steel kind like 440 C, AUS or ATS 34? If yes, where about does this steel kind range concerning hardness and quality?
Or does the imprint refer to the making of the blade or a special treatment? If it is like this, what does it mean exactly? And what kind of steel is my knife's blade then?

Looking forward to an answer,

Ebba-X

G. Sakai is one of the biggest names in cutlery manufacturers in Japan!

Perhaps Hi Speed would indicate a tool steel? AG Russells Cutting Edge on line catalog has shown a few of them on a regular basis.

Nakano

Hi Ebba-X. G.Sakai is one of the larger and older knife makers in Seki City, Japan. Certainly in the top group with regards to quality. Currently moving into their 3rd generation.

The HSEK is a bowie style model that they produced beginning about 10 years ago. The HSEK stands for "High Speed Edge Knife". If you look closely at the grind, you will see that the area behind the edge dips and then swells again. This channel reduces the friction in the initial cutting.

They were usually made from AUS-6. It is a quality piece.

sal

Just traded for one of these Bowie knives. This one has a black micarta handle which is a bit thick for it's intended user.

So, anyone know the approx. current value of one of these in new condition?

Back