Knife laws in BC Canada

Thank you big one! that was a great post. Very informantive, if i could ask a few questions/make a few statements though:

1) from your experiance as a cop do you think i would have a problem carrying the SRK???(note that i would be using it every day as a utility/work knife this is why i will carry it, the tools they provide at work to cut open crates/ boxes/packages dont cut it sometimes, also note i will never carry any folder after a freind of mine cut himself badly with one after the lock failed, this is why i went fixed blade)

2)I will never flash it around in public and would NEVER draw it in public unless my life or the life of someone i love was in very great danger and drawing using the knife was the ONLY option available to me.

With this mindset/use for it do you think the cops will give me any trouble?

As for the person who asked about a knife in a backpack/bag it IS ILLEGAL, at least a freind of mine was stopped running from a fight and searched, he had a Machete in his bag and was arrested, im not sure what the charge was exactly but he got off with no jail time but did have to make a few court apperances and was on probation for a while.

Does anyone know where the Kershaw "Speed Safe" knives fall? I know that House Of Knives carries them; are they a gray area?
Do the rest of Big One's statements apply?

running from a fight with a machete in his bag.....doesn't make one look too good to an arresting officer....I'll bet if he had a Mora #1 or a folder in there, he wouldn't have been arrested. The urban (legal) uses for a machete are somewhat limited, and when you couple that with being involved in a fight, your friend was asking for trouble....

I don't think having a knife in your bag could be interpreted as illegal except in exceptional circumstances like those mentioned above. Again, a weapon in Canada is defined largely by intent, so the more innocent and law abiding you SEEM, the more you can get away with. If you're running from fights, you look like a hood to the cops, doesn't matter whether you actually are or not. How could anyone ever buy a knife if you can't have one in a bag. The police could just set up outside the knife store and arrest everyone who leaves. :rolleyes:

I should note he wasnt invloved in the fight, He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, some of his buddys started a fight he watched for a while then said screw this im outta here but they caught him running away.

Sorry to be so long getting back, busy time of year :)

Rubber Ducky: The lawyers like to play with their "case law" and it is just that, case law. On the street case law is irrelevant. Concealment is simply the fact that it cannot be seen. It is up to the prosecutors, judges and lawyers to decide if you will or will not be charged with a concealed weapon if an untucked shirt covered it. However, the fact that the untucked shirt covered it IS reasonable grounds for the police officer to deam it to be a concealed weapon. It is then up to the others mentioned above to decide if you will be charged and with what.

The blade length issue is written, but you will not likely find it anywhere you would normally think of looking. You must remember that the Criminal Code of Canada is not the whole story when it comes to Canadian law. You will note that under the firearms section of the code it does not specify all firearms that are considered "Prohibited". That is because those prohibitions were done by Order in Council and are listed in the appropriate order. This is what the code means when it mentions things like or as prohibited by order. The basic law is set down in the code, the exact list of items is a compilation of all orders made to that date.

For instance the throwing star is a Prohibited weapon, so is a SPAS 12 shotgun. These are on seperate orders that have been done over the years and make up the entirity of the list of Prohibited weapons.

Crayola: I know that sword canes are covered in an order in Council from some years back. I do not remember the details so cannot comment on them. I agree they are beautiful. However, if you are in a situation where it is used, shown or you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time you will fall under such things as Possession of a weapon dangerous to the public peace or Possession of a Concealed weapon, just as you could with any object.

BruiseLeee: In my opinion, yes, for street purposes, you would be deemed to have a concealed weapon if you had a large one in your backpack.

Rifter: I am not personally familiar with the SRK you mention. But as a fixed blade knife, all the previously mentioned would apply. If it is 4" or less you can conceal it. I carry my 5" B.A.T. custom fixed blade on my belt, making sure that at least the tip of the sheath is visible. I have never had a problem with it.

Bobby B: I have a couple of the Kershaw Whirlwinds (Ken Onion Speed Safe action). They are currently legal for sale in Canada and legal to carry as a folder concealed as they are not over 4" in blade length. HOWEVER, I know that Canada Customs and the Justice Dept are looking at the possibility of re defining them to fall under the switch blade category as they are "spring assisted". All other rules mentioned apply.

Hope this helps a bit. Again sorry for the delay in answering. Best of the New Year to you all :)

Back