Recommendation? Knife Maintenance

Hey guys! I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice. So I have a case cv stockman, which I use, but most of my use has been whittling. I have seen many of you guys using your pocket knives for food prep (do you guys not own kitchen knives? :D) and I was wondering how you cleaned the knife, not just the blades, but the pocket knife as a whole, because I am assuming that your hands also get food on them and then handle the knife naturally. My lack of knowledge in regards to properly cleaning the whole knife is keeping me from using as much as I'd like to for tasks at hand. And nothing drives me crazier than a greasing handle! Thank you in advance! Everyone here on this forum is generous and always readily available to help, thanks.

I clean my knives with hot soapy water then blow dry them out with compressed air or even a hair dryer on low heat.
Then I oil them with mineral oil ( mostly just the pivots because I'm not storing them for long periods )
When I'm using my knife to cut my dinner I use a fork so there's normally no food on my hands to get onto my knife handle.

I have seen many of you guys using your pocket knives for food prep (do you guys not own kitchen knives? :D)
The only time I use a folding knife for food on a semi-regular basis is a Case Slimline Trapper that I use to cut up apples at my desk at work. That's all I ever use it for. As soon as I am done with my apple, if possible, I go to the sink and wash it with dish soap and warm water, just like you would wash any other cutlery. It's stainless steel and is unharmed by this process.

I have a very nice selection of kitchen knives, and I use them for any food-related tasks at home.

Rarely, I have used a pocket knife to cut food at a restaurant. In those situations, I usually dampen the corner of a napkin and give it a quick wipe-down before putting it back in a pocket, and then do a full wash and dry when I get home.

I usually carry stainless steel knives, but with carbon steel knives the process would be the same, except for adding a little mineral oil after drying.

wash it with dish soap and warm water, just like you would wash any other cutlery ... with carbon steel knives the process would be the same, except for adding a little mineral oil after drying.
I will have to try that then

I also wash it in soap and water. If it's really dirty I use the vegetable brush on it. I dry it, inside and out, with a paper towel and put it back in the pocket. Carbon steel knives get an end of the day light oiling or waxing.

My wife always has a container of the Chlorox disinfecting wipes in the kitchen. That's what I use.

you can wash them with soap and water, but be clear that you want to dry up all the water so it doesnt rust the steel portion of the knife. pivot etc. no stainless is impervious to rust, it just takes longer to rust.
if you have grease this should hold up to this type of cleaning. if you use oil type lube you most likely will have to re-apply a drop.

i will disassemble my knives and clean them with solvent of some type. this will clean out the lubrication etc. and then re-apply the lubrication. very little goes a long way. wipe all excess lube so it doesnt spin off onto the blade when you open it and collect dust etc. grease is a very good solution because you can just wash the knife without taking it down and it stays in place, but grease is not idea for every single knife/knife pivot. also most people apply too much of any lube, be careful.

ive used 99% alcohol, brake/choke cleaner, nail polish remover and zippo lighter fluid to clean my knives (there's so much more that can clean it too). a combination cleaner lube is not recommended, but lots of people still use that kind of stuff.

the easiest way to get tape and other sticky stuff on your blade is to use zippo lighter fluid and something like a towel(or paper towel) or sponge.

Last edited:
I poke a hole in a water bottle cap, fill the bottle with warm soapy water, and jet the water into the nooks and crannies (of course washing the rest of the knife as well).

I then spray WD-40 in the same spots to displace the water. Dry with a towel and canned/compressed air, then oil joints and lightly oil blade.

So far, so good!

My wife uses a carbon #8 Opinel in the kitchen as well as a Case CV sodbuster. That is all she uses for food prep. She puts them both in the dishwasher! Both are solid black and I wipe them off with a little mineral oil whenever I sharpen them. She gives me a hard time that her knives look better than mine because they get used more, and she's right.

I clean and oil using hot soapy water, tooth picks, and paper towels. I then wipe down with mineral oil. I do this when the knife needs it.

Daily, I just wipe the blade dry using paper towels or my pant leg. If food stuff won't wipe clean, I'll use water. It might be uncivilized to some.... I kind of think some are a little overzealous about having perfectly clean utensils to eat.

Just don't use your knife on something "dirty" without cleaning it.

I just wipe the blade(s) and handle off on a rag or my pant leg.
I oil the joints maybe once a month, with a couple drops of 3 in 1 oil, then wipe off the excess, after working the blade a couple times.
No problems doing it this way for about 56 or 57 years. :)

I just wipe the blade(s) and handle off on a rag or my pant leg.
I oil the joints maybe once a month, with a couple drops of 3 in 1 oil, then wipe off the excess, after working the blade a couple times.
No problems doing it this way for about 56 or 57 years. :)

Keeping it simple, I like it :thumbsup:

That's a heck of a trick with the pinned construction slipjoints use.
Those ones are annoying, nothing much you can do about taking them apart. clean them as best you can and drop in a drop of lube.

Back