Knife or Bayonet

If you had to use a bayonet to kill an enemy solder would you fix it to your rifle or used it as a fighting knife? And why? I want to explore good and bad aspects of both ways of using the bayonet (fixed to rifle and in hand).;)

Fixed. On a good stout rifle. Close quarters would include fixed bayonets and hand grenades. Hand to Hand would see knives, helmets, empty hand / boot, improvised weapons, pistols/revolvers, and so on.

Mick and Greg have both "been there, done that", so their ideas are gold! Here are some pewter ideas from me :)

Today me and my training partner did a stick(s) versus bokken (wooden training sword) session today. This was the first time we used mixed range weapons. Even with 2 sticks, the range that the bokken offered was amazing. Range and POWER. A knife fixed to a rifle is a spear (range) and a thrust would be very strong.

Ok so far all who responded preferred Bayonets, so why is it close to impossible to find an a good one. If you are looking in to the 7-8” blade market you find thousands of “tactical” knives and almost no bayonets?! :mad:

You need to look at the Napolionic period where the bayonet ruled within infantry tactics. The bayonet was for offensive attack against troops and defence against cavalry. Disceplined troops working with the bayonet, after firing a couple of musket shots, were as devastating as Roman Legionaries with their short swords and shields, having thrown their spears(forgoten correct term).
It really takes two well trained soldiers armed with bayonets to take out one enemy, where the enemy is as good as dead. Native North American Indians with their fighting sticks and tomahawks were put to the sword and bayonet fairly swiftly. It was later when rearmed by the European armies that they began to hold their own.

A full sized battle sword, in well practiced hands, is a more even match. Revolver and sword better still, but not necessarily revolver on its own. Pistol hits do not stop a bayonet thrust which have to be powerfully paried away.

WWI saw the demise of the long bayonet; no cavalry. From about 1915 the German army rarely if ever fixed bayonets; it took a little longer for the Allies to follow. True, the trenches ensured that all manner of improvised weapons were deployed including shotguns, cutlasses and clubs; but grenades (bombers)ruled up close.
However, bolt action rifles still remained the soldiers personal weapon, so the bayonet survived as part of infantry's offensive weaponary, if a bit shorter, to this day. Some Brits in the Falklands War, 1980's, used their bayonets in their final assault to good effect because they had either run out of ammunition or hadn't the time to change magazines. The rifle was the long FN FAL SLR 7.62 with a twenty round mag.
Now that high capacity, fully automatic, assault rifles are the norm the bayonet realy is redundant especially on the ever popular bullpup and carbine sized assault rifles. For the weight you are better off having a light weight utility knife, such as the Swedish army issues, and more ammunition.

When a recruit I was charged by Gurkhas with fixed swords (days of the SLR). It was scarey. But then I didn't know how to put a DF down within 50m of me, and this was a demonstration/experience builder not how to do it.

To sum up, a bayonet on the end of a rifle gives reach and power. But if you have the ammunition you might as well shoot the b***er. Today firepower rules, period.

A sharpened E-tool can do a lot of damage if you know how to use it. Knew a marine who was doing reserve time in the Bronx to earn his retirement points (this was 10 years ago) who taught E-tool fighting. If you had a friend and two knives and he had an E-tool I would suggest runnig, thats how good he is. I think he learned his skills earning a silver star.

E-tools are mean sumbitches whether sharpened or not. However the question is whether when one was armed with a bayonet one would use it fixed or in hand.

GREENJACKET I’m not planing to bayonet charge a dug in position but bayonets are a batter h2h weapon than knives plus they look scary when fixed to a rifle I know that chances of bayonet fighting is uncommon but it still tacks place from time to time. The only problem is that I cannot find a good bayonet anywhere I look some companies produce 10-15 models of “tactical” knives and not a signal bayonet and I am not a big fan of the M-9 issued to the Australian army :(

Stryyder E-tool is a good weapon but most solders carry there E-tools ever on there packs or on the belt but in the second case it would require a long time to get it out of its holder.

The best use for a bayonent in today's warfare is to keep dirt out of your muzzle!! M-16 muzzles foul easily and the M-7 bayonent is great at keeping the Dangerous End out of the dirt when one must crawl in the mud. I choose the M-7 over the M-9 due to weight, but I really like to see a bayonent like the M-7 but with a 8-9" blade with full length (to the tip) fuller to reduce weight and give stength to the blade's cross-section.

Styer Aug (?) and the SA80 bullpup's don't give much reach when fixed with a bayonet and so loose much of the advantage. They have a point for crowd control. There is a need for something more other than whats left in the magazine when fighting through and clearing up, but my choise would be a pistol.

Knife manufacturers don't bother producing alternative designs because the military have already given the contract when they bought the weapon system. Civilians don't like bayonets on their rifles because they can throw the group/zero off.

There is some truth in having the bayonet as a muzzle guard. You can now get plastic muzzle caps that you shoot through.

My dad just bought a mint M1 Garand. I shot it about a month ago and it is an AWESOME rifle to shoot. Being that I live in Kalifornia, it is about the only battle rifle that I can attach a bayonet to.

I was thinking that it might make a great bear gun when I'm camping out in the woods. Keep the bayonet on it and, if I miss my shot on the charging bear, hopefully I can impale it. I was even thinking about having a custom bayonet made at some point down the line. Maybe something 9 to 12" long, made out of one of the super stainless steels, heat treated by Paul Bos, etc.

You ever been charged by a bear?
If he does charge, you use the bayonet to cut your own guts out before the bear gets to you cause that is really going to hurt when he gets to you.
jf

No, I've never been charged by a bear. I guess I should make my first shot count, huh? ;) My whole idea of a bayonet to use on a charging bear is just another excuse to lay out several hundred on a custom bayonet; one that's a lot tougher than the flimsy one that came with the rifle. The bear better watch out, damn it.

Bears are big, strong & nasty.
Then again if it bleads you can kill it.
A 12" blade on a 36" rifle has good reach & can do a lot of damage...
I imagine *if* you cut the throat it would die, just like anyone else.
Of course you might die trying.

Back