knife shapes

Can anyone tell me how to find out what the different blade shapes are and their uses. I'm new to knives and I don't know a clip blade from a wharncliff. Aside from collecting, I would like to know how or why the blades came into being. I'm particularly interested in Case knives, and their website doesn't give me the needed insight. Thanks so much in advance, doubleG.

You will find good pictures of the different blade styles in Bernard Levines book, Levine's Guide to Knives and Their Value. I would recommend edition 4.

Thanks to you both for the info...I checked out the web links and found some pictures describing a few of the blades. They mostly just described them visually. I wanted to also know why or where the wharncliff got it's name and why is it the standard for whittling. I understand the coping blade for it's use as a chisle. The pen knife...where'd that get it's name? It's kind of the all purpose blade, right? The doctors knife...I heard that the blade was for cutting pills and chopping them into powder? It's not shaped like a scalpal or anything. The sheepsfoot. Is that based solely upon the shape of the blade? Or is there another deeper use, like shephards used it. I'm sorry if these are totally newbie questions. If they've been answered before I'd be happy to check those threads. I will check out the book mentioned as well. Thanks, doubleG

The Wharncliffe was named after Lord Wharncliffe who designed it. The pen blade is so called because it was used to sharpen quill pens. The sheepsfoot was named because it looks like a sheeps' foot. Get the Bernard Levine book for really detailed info. You might also want to subscribe to Knife World, they always have good collecting/historical articles.

The doctor's knife blade is for separating a bunch of pills for counting. Pharmacists often use a little spatula for that purpose. If you try whittling you find that the "point" is good for cutting in details.

Hmmm...nobody gonna jump in on the spaying blade?
MtMike :D

[RAIN, PRAY FOR RAIN]
Pikes Peak Country
6 miles form Hayman Fire

my vote for the most specialized blade: the US army bomb diffusal knife that comes with the current bomb squad kit. knife has a 5" clipped bowie blade, full tang with wooden handles riveted through holes. blade material: BERYLLIUM. fully non-magnetic. however, it is highly poisonous. careful instructions are given with regard to handling and sharpening.

Back