Knife shopping

Ok, so I am new here. If this is wrong forum I'm sorry.

I am getting into throwing knives, I have a local shop near me that sells them, but almost all of them are cheap throwing knives and broke on me within 1-4 day's. Finally when I went in a 3rd time, the guy showed me some cold steel stuff, ever since i really haven't bought anything else.

I found the budk website and ordered some stuff from them (haven't received my stuff yet) but I've heard my fair share already of negative comments about them. but the reviews I read on their site (lord knows i'm sure they themselves have written some) and all is mostly positive.

My question is what is some good places to buy from that are reputable. I really only care about throwing knives and axes.

Moved. :)

Don't tell him, tell us, so we won't end up with duplicate threads. Report Post.

Welcomes indeed.

and yea, cold steel is arguably the best quality for the money you're going to get. While I haven't handled budk stuff personally, I've never really heard outstanding reviews of it. But when it gets in, share you're feelings.

also, sorry about those other cheap pieces you spent money on that broke :^(

Thanks for the warm welcomes,

This is a great site for info, Read alot about knife makers, but not a whole lot on online retail. Cold steel gets referred to as "mall ninja" blades alot. makes me feel good cause i bought mine at the mall and found a love for knife throwing. (/sarcasm)

Reading users blade reviews is great too, I'm not much into knives besides throwing, but you guy's are great salesmen when you like a product. make me wanna buy a few other blades besides for throwing.

Any recommendations on throwing knives would be greatly appreciated, I own a few Shanghai Shadows, and True Flight Throwers, and right now have a couple Perfect Balance Throwers coming my way.

Will be sure to post when I get my products towards the end of this coming week and see how my experience goes, I am awful nervous tho after reading alot of horror storys about them.

Cold steel gets referred to as "mall ninja" blades alot.

Welcome

Not many have anything bad to say about Cold Steel Throwing knives. They are durable as hell and reasonably priced (not the cheapest but maybe the cheapest Per Throw). Many wish they still made some of their lighter models. I like the Sure Balance Throwers myself but to each his own. I really like being able to throw 6 knives at one target and not worry about the damage I might do to the handles. I also have a pair of True Flight Throwers but I am saving them for a special occasion. I like the looks of the Shanghai Shadows but I have heard that the ring can break with a few bad throws. At any rate Welcome.

They knock the advertisement, and now i finally see why. My Shanghai Shadow snapped on monday and they brag about bending it 90 degrees.

Didn't do anything outta the ordinary with it, I've owned it for about a week and a half or so, here's the pic.

175809_136247569773663_100001652616731_233415_4309105_o.jpg

not surpried - the shadow is designed as a knife that can be thrown occasionally, but it's tempered too hard to take much of that kind of abuse.
OTOH, I love the True Flight throwers - in a pinch they'll take a decent enough edge to work as a field knife, but will last a long, long time being thrown daily..

Dumb question here, what's OTOH stand for?

and yea, I got the SS for a bday present, gotta say I wasn't happy about it breaking, good part was it was cheap to send back, should be delievered to them on monday of next week.

and the True Flight truly has taken a beating, that one has more of a reason to break than the SS did. But it looks solid as heck all around.

Back to the main part of the tread, are there any good online vendors that sell throwing knives?

Welcome to BF!!
I tried to learn how to throw with cheep knives and it didnt work out all that well. I went and got a good set, and my experiences throwing was a lot better. I got a couple sets of Gil Hibben knives. $30 (at the time, don't know what they are now) for a set of three and they have lasted a good long while. Good luck and let us know what you decide to get!

I'm standing by cold steel, I like that your from Arlington, I've spent most of my childhood growing up there all my family lives around there and marysville.

I have two perfect balance thowers coming and a cold steel trench hawk coming, along with two other off brand axes coming. hopfully by tomorrow. Also have the expendables throwing knives coming. pretty stoked.

So do you ever get back up here to Arlington?

OK.

Just a quick side note. I always thought that balance was everything with throwing knives, but it really doesn't. I've found that I like a heavy handle some times and others a heavy blade.

I go up there once every few months for a weekend to visit everyone. Maybe next time I head up there we can meet up or something, my cousin's itching to throw so i'm bringing them up here in a couple weeks.

And thanks for letting me know what otoh stood for, asked a friend right after posting and he made me feel like a dumb*** for not getting that haha.

I go up there once every few months for a weekend to visit everyone. Maybe next time I head up there we can meet up or something, my cousin's itching to throw so i'm bringing them up here in a couple weeks.

And thanks for letting me know what otoh stood for, asked a friend right after posting and he made me feel like a dumb*** for not getting that haha.

Sounds good. Shoot me an e-mail when you plan on coming up and I'll bring my knives to toss around also :D :thumbup:

http://www.sog-knives.net/images/SOG-Fusion-Throwing-Knives-F04T-600x510.jpg

give these a try. I've had mine for about a year now, and they can take the abuse. I throw in my basement and when I threw from 30feet or so, I missed the target and hit the block wall(tip first!). The knives were fine, the wall was missing a chunk of block though. Just be careful they come razor sharp!

I live in springfield/ mechanicsburg area, not too far from marysville

Back