Knife survey

wlf

Let's play the survey game. Of all the knives you once owned but no longer do, which of the following list of ways was it lost? I've listed them in the approximate percentage order for me. (Man, I need to get of the 'Net and find me a life!)

1. Stolen 50%
2. Sold, traded, or given away 25%
3. Accidentally lost 15%
4. Ruined or broken during use 10%
5. Worn out (from sharpening, for example) 0%

Note: Barracks thieves love knives and wrist watches!

Leigh

You are right you need a life.....but then again I am replying! I have lost 3 pocket knives in my life. 2 when I was a kid and they were junk. 1 was a Benchmade Titanium given to me by a friend and I didn't even have time to use it. Never broken one etc. Guess I'm lucky. I'm 39 and I have about 50 knives still going strong. 50 per cent stolen that sucks especially if its in your barracks. I hope you never have to trust your life to those scum.

OK here goes:

1. Souvenier knife (mini-bowie) from Crystal Cave in PA. Lost in backyard around age 6 or 7.

2. Basic model SAK (don't remember which one)-found on the road in my town. Lost on the road in my town-bounced out of my sneaker (which was on the handle bars of my bike) coming back from a wet fishing trip. Lost around age 10.

3. Small Old Timer folder that was a gift from my mother. Lost in a house I was living in with a woman and her two teenagers. Don't know if it was 'lost' or stolen. Age 24.

4. Benchmade 812 Mini-AFCK, birthday gift from my wife. Stolen from me at work. This one really hurt. Age 37.

I think that's it. I have all the rest to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks for asking, helps ease the pain... :(

Mongrel

First pocket knife: SAK copy of low quality. Served for years, I bent the blade (!??), ruined some of the tools.
Few years later, I "borrowed" and lost my dad's great Henckels folder that had red plastic slabs and the size and pattern of the Buck 110 with excellent flat ground carbon steel blade. It slipped out of my pocket.
First fixed blade knife: Scandinavian pattern clip point and nice wood handle knife made in East Germany. Got it from mom at age of 13 as a reward for a championship medal. It served well until it was lost due to lack of any retention strap while playing "Cowboys and Indians" in the bushes. That knife taught me two things that I still keep: (1) no knife with smooth handle and without guard, (2) no leather sheath without retention straps.
Second fixed blade: dad bought a Solingen blade "dear sticker" that had an unbelievable thick blade and useless ground. Served well as a pry bar until met its match: an acatia tree branch. The butt end and the fancy handle stack became loose around the rat tail tang and I could never set them back nicely. New lessons learned: no tail tang, no fancy stack, no aluminum butt cap any more.
First real folder I bought: a Czech Mikov hunting folder with back lock, strong knife blade, saw and stag-like slabs. I carried that one through high school. It was eventually stolen in the army. (Typical story: four of us peeling potatoes, I jump up and leave for a second. When back, knife is gone and NOONE SAW ANYTHING! OK, my mistake..)
So I bought as soon as I could leave the garnison an inexpensive carbon blade folder sampler knife with celluloid handle that held up surprisingly well for the rest of my service time.
Since then, I am more successful in holding on to my blades. On the other hand, I do not use them that wildly any longer either.

HM

Back