• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Knives off etsy?

Here's a perfect example. This knife is selling for $136.72 on Etsy. This is the Timber Rattler Western Outlaw Bowie/SZCO Sable Bowie, both of which cost $37 on Amazon. It says it's made of D2 steel on Etsy. It definitely isn't. It has the exact same sheath as both the TR Western Outlaw Bowie & SZCO Sable Bowie. The retention strap is on the blade side of the knife. No reputable manufacturer makes leather sheaths that way.

Link to non-supporting vendor removed per forum guidelines

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some fun blade makers on Etsy but you need to do a lot of research. I don’t touch anything outside the country except a few European makers. Even some of the companies that say they are in the USA are from the Middle East. I avoid anything that is “d2” or “Damascus”. The frauds tend to just copy real American smiths pics and ship poor copies. A good litmus is 20 or more good reviews over at least 6 months. I do a search that specifies USA only, nothing below $200, and then look for longevity and positive reviews. Most of the American blade makers will work with you on custom blades and many are very reasonably priced.

I've noticed the same exact thing. Etsy has become a dumpster fire with respect to knives. I've seen $30 BUDK knives on there, and they're charging $150! Literally every dirt cheap SZCO knife is on Etsy, for $100-$175. The dishonesty is shameful. I've literally seen the $21 SZCO High Carbon Bowie on Etsy, for $150. They didn't even bother to change the picture! They just copied it from the SZCO supplies website. 😥 I'm sure there are some great knives on Etsy, but I don't have the patience to scroll through all the BS.

Etsy has some legit knife makers there (Amsler knives for instance) but you have to have an eye and common sense for the stuff. Most of the times when you search for knives they are made by some less known smiths where 99% are Ukrainians by some reason.
I have purchased jewelry, bushcraft stuff, vintage SAK and leather goods and most times my experiences have been very satisfying.
It's kind of like eBay; just pay attention what you are doing and check the feedback.

Etsy has some legit knife makers there (Amsler knives for instance) but you have to have an eye and common sense for the stuff. Most of the times when you search for knives they are made by some less known smiths where 99% are Ukrainians by some reason.
I have purchased jewelry, bushcraft stuff, vintage SAK and leather goods and most times my experiences have been very satisfying.
It's kind of like eBay; just pay attention what you are doing and check the feedback.
If you could list the reputable Etsy knife makers on the forum, it would be very helpful to people. Every time I get directed there, all I see are cheap knives that I've seen before on budget knife site like BUDK. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the $21 SZCO High Carbon Bowie on there for $150+. It's actually a decent knife, once you modify it, but it's definitely not work $175!

Fallen Oak Forge
Charles Jones Blades
Koss Workshop
AtilanoShop
HuntonCustomKnives
VaporBladeCustoms
There were also a lot more but eventually a lot of them leave to focus on selling from their own site or give up and focus on their day jobs.

I just saw a bunch of counterfeit Benchmades, Spydercos and some very pricey Medfords. The way they are all listed as hand-made is a joke.

il_1140xN.5760226832_t274.jpg

Back