Kopis started!!!!!!

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Ok y’all should realize by now I’m not right in the head when it comes to Kukri and recurves 🤪 I love them dearly!!!!!! Well in keeping with recent large pieces, I decided to take a stab at a Kopis. I started with 3in wide bar of 1/4in 5160. I had plenty of theories on how to cut one out but landed on the simple bandsaw. The hard part being those inside curves of the handle. I bet most of you didn’t know you can “file” with a bandsaw blade 😜 Actually don’t do this if you don’t own that bandsaw. It’s no good for blades but I was willing to sacrifice the blade for the end result 👍 I did a LOT of small relief cuts and trimming with the saw. After that, files finished the shaping. I’m really excited about this project and so far so good 😊 The blade will end up 15-16in when it’s done.

IMG_4640.jpeg

Ok y’all should realize by now I’m not right in the head when it comes to Kukri and recurves 🤪 I love them dearly!!!!!! Well in keeping with recent large pieces, I decided to take a stab at a Kopis. I started with 3in wide bar of 1/4in 5160. I had plenty of theories on how to cut one out but landed on the simple bandsaw. The hard part being those inside curves of the handle. I bet most of you didn’t know you can “file” with a bandsaw blade 😜 Actually don’t do this if you don’t own that bandsaw. It’s no good for blades but I was willing to sacrifice the blade for the end result 👍 I did a LOT of small relief cuts and trimming with the saw. After that, files finished the shaping. I’m really excited about this project and so far so good 😊 The blade will end up 15-16in when it’s done.

View attachment 2477347
That one is going to be an absolute beast of a cutter.

Back