Photos Koyote LBK Woodsman

It's disappointing that Christof seems to have moved on, but I just wanted to share a few pics for posterity with the select folks who will appreciate them. I'm surprised that this sub is still up.

In 2010 my wife and I hiked 2650 miles from Mexico to Canada on the Pacific Crest Trail. Christof provided a knife for me to carry and feature for the last month of the hike.

VYvWbl8.jpg

3DMjyhk.jpg

ETf2PIy.jpg

1GWj1p3.jpg

h4HwRIO.jpg

YVv6fwS.jpg

7Er5Dtq.jpg

YzUR5NK.jpg

zjB1x4u.jpg

nMt7wEz.jpg

3QLUwik.jpg

I hope this sub-forum never goes away, but it seems like it's time is limited with not hearing from Christof for so long and Sierra moving on. Thanks for sharing the pics! The LBK, and some of the other Koyote models as well, are IMO some of the best and we'll built fixed blades ever made. Christof's handles are second to none, and Sierra's sheaths are a work of art.

How did the LBK compare to the other knives used on your hike adventure? I'm sure with being on the trail for that length of time you became very familiar with the blades you carried. Brad

Yeah, getting to know the knives in that immersive environment was really cool.

In the hike thread, I strove to feature each knife in a positive light, since it was very generous of the knifemakers to kick down in the first place. I provided more candid feedback to each maker in private email.

The LBK (and to be fair, all the knives) was larger than needed for this particular hike, but that was to be expected. I loved the design, ergos, quality, and F&F. The "scandivex" grind glides through soft and hard materials and is easy to maintain. The design is unique, creative, and innovative without being the least bit gimmicky or contrived. The LBK handled the more-common "small knife tasks" much better than almost any knife its size, perhaps due to the handle ergos, thinner blade stock, precise grind, ability to choke up close to the cutting edge, and superb balance. Yes, it's called the Little Big Knife, but next to my Ratmandu, this is the 2nd largest fixed blade I own so it's big to me.

At times I wished the LBK had a little more point for detail work. The pointier knives on the hike like the Murray Carter and the Shadowknives Model IX have great points. I've long considered taking the LBK spine down a smidgen.

Sierra's sheath is still no-exaggeration the finest piece of leatherwork I've ever handled, including my custom boots, custom holsters, and Allen Edmonds dress shoes. However, hiking in 30+ days of rain at the end of the hike forever put me off leather sheaths and made me seriously question carbon steel for a long-term trail knife.

I'm surprised this sub is still here after the forum software changeover. He was never a prolific maker and I almost never see the knives for sale here or elsewhere.

Great pics of a great knife. I love my LBK Woodsman...my favorite outdoors knife- but I've never seen one with a guard like yours. Cool.

Gotta figure this forum will be closed when whatever time he paid for is up...

Some day when I have time I'll have to read through all 15 pages of the thread about your hike, what a great adventure that must have been.

The longest continuous amount of time I get to spend in the woods is a week for archery hunting, and I can't say that I have found anything that I needed a pointier knife for, but I usually have a skinning knife and dedicated Hunter style knife with me as well, so I could see where the LBK would not have been ideal at times.

Thanks again for posting the pics and keeping some conversation going in here. Brad

Thanks for sharing, can kyou tell me how you sharpened the edge? You mentioned the scandivex was easier to maintain, stopping?

Great pics of a great knife. I love my LBK Woodsman...my favorite outdoors knife- but I've never seen one with a guard like yours. Cool.

Gotta figure this forum will be closed when whatever time he paid for is up...
I don't think they pay for these forums. Spark will probably eventually archive it.

IMG_0130.JPG IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0132.JPG I will re-post some of my old pics.

The Leuku is obvious, the middle one is a Great Divide that I had reground by another maker to make it flat, and finally a Great Basin Bushcrafter. Enjoy, just for fun.

Back