Krait-Smith and Wesson neck knife

Yes I have seen the Smith and Wesson Neck knife about 5 months ago.

I guess I should be smiling for the knock off of the Krait neck knife :}, but It stopped Outdoor edge from considering my version of the knife for production... IMHO.
Les Robertson is handleing the REAL Krait Neck knife. It is made well and cuts well.
No Whistle on it either hehehehhehe . The Smith has a whistle . It Blows~~~~~

This kind of thing happends when folks like the design I guess. I am not connected to this Smith and Wesson knife in any way and was not paid a royality :{. They just produced the design without permission.

I think Kit Carson had a go around with the fellow who does there designs also. Same type of situation.

Cant win them all I guess...
ralphneck.jpg

Here's a pic of the real thing ..
------------------
Web Site At www.infinet.com/~browzer/bldesmth.html
Take a look!!!

David,

Can you fill us in on why the Smith & Wesson knock-off of Darrel's Neck Knife would keep Outdoor Edge from producing his Neck Knife? Is it simply a pricing problem, or are there other issues involved here?

I am a bit disgruntled by this whole thing and I'm sure other forumites are also wondering about this.

To Bob:

Our decision to hold off on Darrel's neck knife has nothing to do with price. OEC's focus is to offer truly unique products that are highly functional and therefore sell well over the long term. I also make it a point to stay away trends as well as products that create confusion in the market.

S&W's knockoff is so similar to Darrel's design that if we did produce this knife what would a customer think if they saw the S&W and the OE version sitting side by side? They would not know what to think and therefore confusion is created. OE's goal is to increase brand recognition based on unique, quality products instead of introducing items which confuse or are surrounded by controversy. Regardless of the fact that Darrel is the original designer, the market is too large for everyone to get the story straight behind Darrel's neck knife. I prefer not to have to explain this story in the first place.

It is better for OEC to develop other unique products such as Darrel's Apogee design rather than produce a knife which has already been copied.

Finally, although Darrels neck knife design is both beautiful and functional I see the neck knife market in general as a trend that already shows signs of fading. REKAT's Hobbit's fang is a great neck knife however I believe REKAT has chosen to discontinue this model. What does this say about the neck knife market. As a manufacturer, you don't discontinue products that are easy to make and sell well.

I trust this offers some insight into your inquiry and I agree it is unfortunate S&W has chosen to produce this model.

Thank you for your attention.

------------------
Sincerely,
Outdoor Edge Cutlery Corp.

David Bloch,
President

Visit our new web site at http://www.outdooredge.com

David,

Thank you for taking the time to explain OE's position. I can understand the logic involved here and the company goals. Confusing customers is not usually a good thing.

It is unfortunate for Darrel. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet on this one and just grumble to myself from time to time.

(Neck Knife Rant)
One thing I know is that there is a huge joggers market out there that has been relatively untouched by sales of neck knives. There are runners clubs all over America and literally hundreds of thousands of high school and college kids who run/jog. I have been involved with kids and running for about 15 years now because of my daughter's abilities and interests. I see this market as almost untapped, except for knifenuts who see the necessity for this item. This doesn't even include many enthusiasts who carry a neck knife simply for the convenience. I would not completely give up on the "trendy" neck knife. I see the waxing and waning of sales as more of a marketing problem than anything else. If the neck knife could be mass marketed to the right audiences, you might be surprised. Of course, we probably won't ever find out.
(Rant off)

Thanks again for explaining. I appreciate it.

Regards.

Back