Kydex sheath for Sierra Scout by mbhanzo

Othello's thread reminded me that I hadn't yet shared my own kydex clothed NWA. :)

Original Thread (OP pasted below, with a few non-NWA pics removed)

This is a little review on some kydex pants I just received from Mike Billman of Grindstone Cutlery (mbhanzo here on Bladeforums).

First of all, I have to say that Mike has definitely gained a life-long customer in me; his kydex work is absolutely top-notch:thumbup:. I’ve always thought his work looked good from the pictures I’ve seen here on Bladeforums and elsewhere, but one needs to actually handle his work to truly appreciate what a superb craftsman he is. I think he has the art perfected.

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on a few of the things that impress me about Mike’s work. If you want to skip the words, pics are below.:eek::D

Retention – Simply awesome! This is the first time I've had a fold-over kydex sheath that really snaps the knife into place firmly with a nice "thwack!" I have only experienced this previously with two-piece designs. Furthermore, the pants provide just enough tension to keep the knives securely sheathed, but not enough to make drawing them difficult or annoying. I have had kydex sheaths before that are loose enough in fit to be hazardous, and a few that just refused to let the knife go without a fight. Mike really nailed the balance between blade security and ease of drawing. Both sheaths (Knives: NWA Sierra Scout, JK Handmade Knives Heavy Duty Hunter) are exemplary in molding.

The Thumb Rest - Very well executed. It fits my average sized thumb well and makes drawing the knife easy and fluid. No awkward edges pushing into my thumb, nicely curved/contoured, and it’s positioned perfectly relative to my hand so the thumb falls naturally right onto the rest when drawing the knife. It’s also streamlined - it doesn't stick out much. After experience with a few kydex sheaths without a good thumb rest, I really appreciate how well executed it is on these sheaths.

The Snap Buckle Dangler - I admit I had my reservations about the snap buckle; I usually prefer a one-piece loop so I don’t have to worry about losing my knife to an accident. But I've been tugging on it, and there's no way either knife is coming off my belt with normal use...it probably won't come off even with a good bit of abnormal use. I'm excited to have the option to put the knife on or take it off my belt without having to undo my belt buckle and actually thread it on the belt. The belt-loop is secured well to the kydex with good hardware, and the buckle (ITW Nexus) seems to be of good quality too. It’s also possible to swap out the snap-buckle for an HK clip if wanted. And lastly, Mike designed/constructed the dangler belt-loops so that the butt of the handle rides below or at my belt-line, which perfectly accommodates my wearing a pack with a full waist-belt. A+.

7/17/10 - one more note, the webbing dangler makes sitting and moving while wearing the knife easy. The sheath doesn't get in the way, hamper movement, or snag on stuff like other sheaths I've had with integral kydex belt loops.

Firesteel Loop – It’s nice and tight, with enough room left on the end so I can use shock cord to secure the steel to the sheath. I really appreciate Mike making it on the tight side since steels wear down over time. Again, good secure hardware there: I'm not worried about it coming off and it feels like I won't need to loctite it for a long while.

Extra cordage and ranger bands – The little details like this really sets Mike apart. It’s nice to have some extra cordage and firestarting stuff right there on the sheath, and it makes use of “dead-space.” It’s a nice way to add function to the sheath without sacrificing anything. It’s done well too, the ends are tied, seared, and hidden away on the back of the sheath.

Drain-hole - Always appreciated :) Users get dirty. It’s big enough to give the sheaths a thorough rinse easily too.

Overall Design/Construction - I really appreciate how Mike minimized excess kydex. He kept the sheaths streamlined and didn't leave unnecessary material. I don’t know if you can notice in the pics, but the bottom edge of the sheath is angled slightly against the belly of the blades, rather than making a box end. This is another small example of Mike’s keen attention to detail. The edges are all smooth and neat as well. Overall, the sheaths have a simple, efficient, functional, and streamlined design and aesthetic. I really couldn’t ask for more: the sheaths function perfectly, ride well, and look good.

Communication – I had an easy time talking details with Mike on the phone. He also updates you on progress, keeps his word, is honest about his schedule, and ships quickly. Good stuff.

So in summary, if you haven’t had one of Mike’s fine sheaths yet, I highly recommend him. You will not be disappointed with his work; it's really top shelf stuff :thumbup:.

3f18a1b7.jpg

0826feae.jpg

d2c82e2d.jpg

435d6532.jpg

Last edited:
49cbc9c4.jpg

0899e987.jpg

a44ed356.jpg

e8f5ba54.jpg

6394e584.jpg

7eb941ef.jpg

58af9103.jpg

c88aa57e.jpg

I still use Nick's awesome leather, and this kydex is not a replacement (hell, as many of you know, Nick's leather is practically kydex itself). But I like having the option. So if you need some kydex, don't hesitate to look Mike up :thumbup::)

Last edited:
Sweet pics Dude:thumbup: You guys are starting to get me thinking more seriously about making kydex sheaths too.

Nick:)

Thanks Nick :)

I think it would be a nice option if you did, but I'm glad I got your leather with mine....this bad boy is one tough leather sheath! :thumbup:

Those look awesome, I love the clip on the belt loop. That would make it easier to mount to a pack too. Nicks leather snaps in a feels like Kydex, My Sierra Scout sheath has been beat and dinged up so many times, but I used a heat gun to melt the wax and smooth it all out and it looks almost new again.
But yeah Kydex would be a cool option too. That Hanzo goes with the Scout perfectly.

Yeah, the clip is really nice. Easy to put on and take off, and it does indeed make mounting to a pack simple.

Good idea with the heat gun to take care of scratches. I really need to just pick up a heat gun...hair dryers and the oven just don't cut it for a lot of things.

I wanted the kydex mainly for wet conditions or times when I think I'll be scrabbling around and really scraping on the sheath. Honestly, in light of how Nick's leather snaps a knife in and my normal outdoor activities, I don't really need the kydex. But it is nice to have a completely maintenance free option, and yes, the combo just looks good. :)

ETA:

After looking at these pics, my Scout is still looking rather virginal (I did scrub it down after the last camping trip...I like seeing that hamon). But now that work is easing up and the weather is getting better, I think I'll be getting out more :) Maybe by this fall mine will look like yours T :D

DSC01211.jpg

Last edited:
I've had it for over 3 years now and it's been on so many adventures with me, including several trips to the Sierras. (Which is what inspired me to suggest the name to Nick) I love the way it takes a patina, shows all it's character!

It does indeed :thumbup:

And you did a great job with the name; the mental images evoked by "Sierra" agree well with the organic design, crisp beauty, and strength of this knife. There I go, gushing again.....:eek::rolleyes::D

I gush about it too. I have lots of knives but it's still my favorite. I just love using it, it's perfect

I have been partial to leather, especially those as good as Nicks, because the couple of kydex sheaths I've had in the past were factory crap. I bet I would really like one of those though.

Ooohhh yeah, I've had a few bad kydex jobs. Take my BRKT Bravo-1, excellent knife, but the kydex that came with it was absolutely horrible....

It's so much better when you get one of these custom made and specify how you want it done. To top it of, if you have the fortune of working with someone like Mike who has such keen attention to detail...well, you really get quality work. :thumbup:

Having one of Nick's stock models, I'm sure it's the same if you go full custom design with him :) I look forward to the day when I'll work with Nick on a design of my own.

Back