Kydex Sheath Tutorial?

Hello,

I am new here and am just starting to find my way around the forms and let me tell you bladeforms.com is a overwhelmingly large sight! I am not a knife maker yet but soon will be if I stay here long. ;)

I want to try to make my first Kydex sheath and am hoping someone can point me to a tutorial that will help me with this project.

Also need to find sources to buy Kydex and other fabrication supplies.

Thank You

I get my plastic from Calsak plastics.

I look on some websight and I see I can order Kydek in 0.060, 0.080, and 0.090 thickness.

What thickness used for say a 8" drop point hunter and a larger knife like a WSK?

Also how about rivets and applying them. One sight I looked at shows I need to buy dies and a arbor press. I am sure there are places that have hand tools

I've never seen a hand tool for the eyelets. I have a desk top press, I know there are some kick machines out there too.

Thickness is up to you. I don't think above .090 is really necessary for a stout sheath. .060 works great for smaller blades, IMHO. .080 fills the gap, I prefer that for IWB's or lighter fixed blades.

I have a 3 DVD set produced by TRS called "Kitchen Kydex", that explains the basic principles, takes you step by step through four projects, shows you how to build a press, and gives you a basic design that will work for multi-tools, magazine pouches, and other straight walled objects that don't have a lot of shapes to "lock" on. First project is a belt holster for a Leatherman Wave, using a heat gun, two kitchen pot holders, a block of wood and some sandpaper. Next is a mag carrier for a Para Ordance P-14, substituting a chunk of foam for the pot holders, and a toaster oven for the heat gun. After building the press, I show how to do a professional grade "fold over the spine" knife sheath and "G" clip using toaster oven, grinder, eyelet setter (or punch and anvil if on a budget), etc. Last project is an IWB holster for the Para, with sight rails, sweat sheild, and integral belt loop. Also show how to "kick the pistol handle in snug to the body. DVD set and workbook is available from www.trsdirect.com or from me directly.

I use Calsak as well, and make almost all my fixed blade sheaths in .090 thickness.

You can get a small punch/anvil hand press for eyelets at Tandy's leather shop for under $10.

Back