Kydex staining blade

Anyone know why my Kydex sheath is staining my blades a brownish color? It happens within minutes of being put in the sheath. I’ve coated my knives (80crv2) in wD-40 and beeswax and I get the same result. I did use a torch instead of a heat gun to adjust the fit of the sheath… did that do something?

Strange, I've made my own kydex sheaths many times, for both knives and guns. Many different colors/patterns/brands of kydex, and used many different heating methods and have never run into that issue..

Maybe someone smarter than me will come and enlighten us both..

Possible off gassing from the sheath if the knife was in it while you were fitting it?

Some Kydex sheaths have liners , or maybe some crud trapped inside .

Never heard of plain kydex having this problem .

Last edited:
got any pics ?

Anyone know why my Kydex sheath is staining my blades a brownish color? It happens within minutes of being put in the sheath. I’ve coated my knives (80crv2) in wD-40 and beeswax and I get the same result. I did use a torch instead of a heat gun to adjust the fit of the sheath… did that do something?

I would guess at it being the beeswax mixture. Besides being a brownish color itself, heating beeswax is purposely used to stain steel.

Back