Kydex thread: armor and other possibilities...

Wow Marlo great minds really must think alike.
wink.gif
I have a set of sign aluminum gauntlets too! I`ve moved on now but they`re still backups. My lamm`s only 8oz. but it`s reinforced with plates of sign aluminum lightly padded laced and to the inside. Anyway back to the thread,a low buck armor idea. Use youth soccer shin guards trimmed to shape and elastic ace bandages or some velcro straps for bracers(arm guards). Super cheap and better than nothin. I used to use these under 8oz. leather in SCA combat and took some pretty hard shots without discomfort. I did a little slashing test before I wrote this and they`re darn tough to cut. Marcus

Marcus:
We used the youth shin guards, too, back in the bad old days! They really did work as well as anything since, and are light and thin. Let's not mention the hockey shin/knee guards that some of us used back when we were young and stupid (as opposed to just stupid).

The article on making finger gauntlets is in a publication called The Compleat Anachronist, #3, "Selections from The Hammer, Part 2." An excellent article, complete with patterns. I'm not active in the SCA anymore, but anyone wanting to purchase CA #3 could probably still get it from the Office of the Stock Clerk, at www.sca.org.
Marlo

Back