Kydex vs. Leather

Hey guys. Just want to know your opinions on what do you prefer for your better user knives? I love kydex clicking the knife in, but hate the scuffs that it leaves on the blade. Any opinions are welcome. Which one and why? thanks

I generally prefer kydex too because of the extra feeling of security. If done right it won't scuff the blade. I've had Dozier, Ingram, Caffrey, Onscene Tactical (I think Eric uses concealex), and J Neilson sheaths out of kydex and never one scuff. I haven't been so lucky with others. Overall, leather has its place too and I actually prefer it for larger blades, hatchets, and tools that I don't wear on my belt.

I'm partial to leather, but I can appreciate why Kydex/Concealex may be favored by others.
The main thing I see unappealing in Kydex is, to me, it's too restricting to work with. Seems like everyone's ( sheath maker's) work looks the same, IMO.

Rayban,

That is a good point. I think that the biggest problem for leather is that most production knives come with lousy leather sheaths. They never leave me with a feeling of confidence that the knife is secure. At least that has been my experience. All custom leather that I have received has been top notch and I have no complaints at all and you are right. Unless it is a simple pouch style sheath all of my leather sheaths have been different and art like. Its hard to do that with kydex.

If I had to choose I would go with leather. For no special reason. I just like it...

Leather all the way. Doesn't scratch your knife, and is way classier than plastic. That being said, if you need something as light as possible, or for prolonged use in wet environments, go kydex. Kydex is more of a tactical choice in my opinion, and if that's what you need then fine. But for class, comfort, and being friendly to the knife, it's gotta be leather.

Back