Recommendation? Large Inkosi Insingo red micarta

Hey guys. After a day or so of looking around, I think I'm going to go with the large inkosi insingo from knives ship free. Does anybody have a photo of this knife besides the one on their website? A few questions...

Do the inlays create hot spots in your hand in use?
Do they come up from repeated use or in/ out of pocket or cleaning in the sink?

If I do wash it, does the pivot constantly need grease?

If you remove play from the pivot, does the knife open difficult?

Are there any other variations out there besides the natural and the black micarta with inlays that are available for purchase currently?

I've seen the red in person but prefer my natural Insingo Inkosi. It's the best CRK I've carried yet! The Micarta has kept the same look for the most part . Love it. And the blade is something else. Havnt even sharpened it yet. Just a strop and diamond paste.

By now I've owned 3 Inkosi and a dozen or so 21. the knife has been remaining maintenance-free and does not sludge up or slow down much like my 21 would. Both are great . But I have no complaints.

I like the inlays . It's person preference and you won't know til you try.

20200516_125713_2.jpg

I as well owned a large 21, a knifeart exclusive with carbon fiber. As much as i liked the carbon fiber, i have another knife with CF/TI now. I could never get the knife sharp on my sharp maker, it seemed as if the edge was WAY off from the standard sharpmaker angles. Is the inkosi easier to sharpen on a sharpmaker...? Anybody?

I as well owned a large 21, a knifeart exclusive with carbon fiber. As much as i liked the carbon fiber, i have another knife with CF/TI now. I could never get the knife sharp on my sharp maker, it seemed as if the edge was WAY off from the standard sharpmaker angles. Is the inkosi easier to sharpen on a sharpmaker...? Anybody?

I have a lot of experience sharpening freehand for touch-ups and using a strop, so I'm advanced enough that it really doesn't matter how an edge shows up on a knife for the most part.

So it can be hit-or-miss but becoming a better sharpener is something that would just happen over time for you. :)

The one you recieved was probably 22 dps roughly. So you need to just slightly angle the knife into the stone with a factory egde if so .

I know i know, just trying to make a good, informed purchase i'll be happy with. The 31 is off my list for now, i was never an umnumzaan fan. So it was down to a 21 or inkosi. Is the inkosi strictly built to be a work/hard use knife and the 21 was just an all arounder?

I know i know, just trying to make a good, informed purchase i'll be happy with. The 31 is off my list for now, i was never an umnumzaan fan. So it was down to a 21 or inkosi. Is the inkosi strictly built to be a work/hard use knife and the 21 was just an all arounder?

The Inkosi is same all arounder as the 21. Just a hair beefier feeling . But similar performance. I also prefer the build of the Inkosi and not having the bushing.

The biggest difference is the finger grooves and if they work for your hand . I need the inlays for the grip I like.

You made a good choice in my opinion. I agree with BellaBlades BellaBlades on a lot of points. The inlays fit my hand much better than a plain Inkosi. The Insingo is a great shape. I’ve got a red Inkosi and two natural inkosi’s. The red and one of my naturals are hard to tell apart at a glance at times depending on lighting and how dirty they are. The other natural I have is more like BellaBlades
17F9E100-882F-4721-B865-DE5AEA1B084D.jpeg

Hey guys. After a day or so of looking around, I think I'm going to go with the large inkosi insingo from knives ship free. Does anybody have a photo of this knife besides the one on their website? A few questions...

Do the inlays create hot spots in your hand in use?
Do they come up from repeated use or in/ out of pocket or cleaning in the sink?

If I do wash it, does the pivot constantly need grease?

If you remove play from the pivot, does the knife open difficult?

Are there any other variations out there besides the natural and the black micarta with inlays that are available for purchase currently?

I've got a red micarta, but it's still in the box and hasn't ever been used.
To answer your questions:
I've never had a hot spot on my natural micarta inlay. I've never used it for more than 20 min., so it might with prolonged use.
I've never had a micarta inlay start separating from the slab. Mine has been completely wet from rain and sweat. I will say that if you carry one in a pocket sheath and it gets soaked, the dye in the sheath will leech onto the micarta. A good washing will bring it back to it's original color.
The only time I take any CRK apart is when it starts to become sluggish opening/closing the blade. Other than that, I don't worry about the knife. I've yet to have one of my work knives ( 25, Inkosi, Umnumzaan ) have any rust form when I've taken one apart. I have read where some of the older Sebenza's did have hidden rust.
The knife will be difficult to open if you over tighten it. You'll get a feel for that sweet spot, but it takes having one to find out.
Have you looked at Wilson Combat to see if they have any available ? That's the only variation that crossed my mind other than what you've found. You can always try to sweet talk @Lone_Wolfe into selling one she may have. :oops: Of course, you'd need a second mortgage to even talk.

I saw some mention of S45VN as a new blade steel for the inkosi. Have they made the switch yet and if not, can you guess when?

Got the knife today. First impression, it's robust! I took it apart to remove the lanyard, what a task that was. Almost a press fit lol. Not much grease in there though. So I removed the lanyard and cleaned it all up and regressed. Came really sharp too. I'd say smoothness is JUST under my 21. I'm sure it needs some breaking in. It exceeded my expectations. No lock issue. My only comment I can make on it is that the "red" isn't what I expected. Maybe it'll darken up with use.

Got the knife today. First impression, it's robust! I took it apart to remove the lanyard, what a task that was. Almost a press fit lol. Not much grease in there though. So I removed the lanyard and cleaned it all up and regressed. Came really sharp too. I'd say smoothness is JUST under my 21. I'm sure it needs some breaking in. It exceeded my expectations. No lock issue. My only comment I can make on it is that the "red" isn't what I expected. Maybe it'll darken up with use.
Congrats and glad to hear you like it. All of my Inkosi’s are robust feeling with no lock issues as well. I consider them un-flawed ;) If they were just send the damn thing back and somebody will make it right, dealer or CRK. Anyhow all of my micarta inlay CRKs darken with use. I have my red Inkosi with me today out and about in the woods and creeks. Here’s a few pic of mine, one in sunlight and one in the cover of the woods. Hope this helps
62369EF1-742F-4839-ABBE-C10991A891D5.jpeg 51B88ED4-2678-449D-818F-4035E3843B12.jpeg

Yours look MUCH shinier than mine. Mine looks, for lack of a better term, dry. Can't wait to get some character on this baby

Did CRK change up the blasting on the handles? I don't remember my 21 being so grippy. Definitely an improvement IMO. My lockup is about 50% but looks later via the bar, I like that as well. Haven't had a chance to cut anything though!

Congrats on the knife.

Mine was bought at Blade 2017 day of release.

Never taken apart in the past 3 years.

Should grab some more recent pictures but it is not being carried that much the past year.

I am enjoying mine I picked up from Anne directly at Blade. Such an awesome person.

8fb75da46fee9ce084dd83055b87543e.jpg

cc796cc94c2aa4203d0b513dd0c558ec.jpg

09c0d8e0513b16bb59c7d7956034abda.jpg

32bf6aeafbb1b8f2c3b129caefb6ab0b.jpg

I've had a natural micarta large Inkosi for several months now. Insingo blade. It's beefy, heavy and rock solid. I am a long time 21 fan so I've thought about selling it to fund another lg 21 before all the lefties dry up. Then I carry my Inkosi for a few days and I fall for it all over again.

Back