Large Native Prototype Pictures

Joe,

It struck me when I handled the Chief at Blade that this knife has become much more "martial blade craft" oriented (to use Sal's terminology) than the smaller original native. The Chief is more piercing oriented while maintaining some blade belly for slashing.

Just my take on it.

sing

Hmmmm... funny, but as I examing the blade further --you know, sort of meditating on it-- and comparing it with my Native, I find myself thinking more and more that Corduroy and Joe T. are correct about the belly versus the swedge. For both aesthetics and performance. One of the things I like about the Native is the way the spine (swedge) and the edge are the same shape, almost like a dagger. I think if the same thing was done with the Chief, it would be truly 'striking,' aesthetically. But, bottom line, either way it comes out, when it comes out, I'm going to HAVEto have one.

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

Regarding the belly/swedge curvature issue, I've recently become enamoured (enamored?), heck, fond of the warncliffe design, and this current design is quite reminiscent of a "softened" warncliff blade. I like it, wrap one up to go!

------------------
Don LeHue

The pen is mightier than the sword...outside of arm's reach. Modify radius accordingly for rifle.

I did notice on the closed view, it looks like a little bit of the G10 might need to be removed.

But i'll add it to the list:
Moran
Military
Starmate
Big Native
Lum folder

Grr, damn you spyderco.

Yah! It appears to be close to a Wharncliffe. I'd prefer a slight drop point, but would be happy with a spearpoint/dagger type of geometry. Spyderco already has plenty of knives with the point dropped real low (military, endura, calypso, delica, centofante, etc.). Throw us spear point or drop point fans a bone!

Joe

Yes, that was my thought, too - that it is heading towards being a Wharncliff, but not quite. The Native is a true spearpoint, and I'd prefer that on this knife as well.

As for the choil and first finger groove, my thought was to increase the length of the choil further on the handle side, and thus decrease the length of finger groove. Considering it further, I see that the bump which separates these two grooves is attempting to cover the locking notch on the spine (though it appears to fail by a little bit). Lengthening the choil rearwards would require moving the locking notch forwards on the blade, changing the lock geometry and increasing the length of the locking bar. I still think it's do-able and worthwhile, but a fairly complex change. I'll do some sketches and see if I can post them.

------------------
-Drew Gleason
Little Bear Knives

DON'T CHANGE A THING ....

In forest green or even a light tan.

Let the blade be real close to 4" Sal.

wll

Wow, I really like it! I think I like it better than the standard Native. I like the sleeker look, I also like the G10. Only thing I'd like to see different is this Large Native with a Rolling Lock.

Take care,
Tom

[This message has been edited by Tmac (edited 08 July 1999).]

The Chief prototype is just sub 4". A G10 handle and 440V blade will drive the price of this up much more than the original Native which is a great buy. A rolling lock will drive it up even more. I think I remember Sal saying that they will make the lockback even stronger than the one on the original native said to be able to withstand 500 lbs of pressure on the spine (what this means I leave to Sal or Cliff to define.) I would not have any problems with it remaining a lockback (and thus more affordable).

I will, however, get the Military and the MBCF with the RL when they come out.
smile.gif
Have to start saving now, just for Spyderco's.

sing

My question is how big is the choil?

Hopefully bigger than it's son the Native.

No matter how I hold that Native, I just can't seem to get comfortable.

------------------
Marion David Poff aka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

I wrote a review of the Kasper AFCK variant, an interview of Bob Kasper, and some thoughts and brainstorms of the AFCK in general. It can be found in the Reviews Section. If you have the time, check it out and tell me what you think.

"I'm just an advertisement for a version of myself." David Byrne

Scallops on either sides of the scales would be a plus since the hole is partially hidden. Also I' d prefer the handle with at least less taper. Strait would do fine. Slightly flared ( a la Goddard LW) would be excellent! Helps to retain folder while withdrawing/ slashing. I would buy this one.

L8r,
Nakano

Good for self-defense? It has a point and an edge and fast-opening, so if you combine it with a bit of agility and an up-close situation that calls for lethal force, God forbid, and you don't have a gun handy, then probably yes.

It has a finger cutout in the handle to keep the knife locked into the hand. For a knife with a flared butt instead of a taper, get a Military.

One minor nit - If you look at the scan of the knife in the closed position, you can see that the upper rear corner of the blade is just slightly exposed, and that corner is a sharp right angle. About 1/32" more G10 on the choil portion of the handle would make that a smooth corner.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com

A lot of good input, thanx much.

Drew, asute to notice the closed position change by lenghthening the choil. However, lenghthening the locking bar at the lock end changes the lock geometry in relation to the pivot which is a no-no for strength.

We'll keep tweaking. At this time, there are no concrete plans to make this knife, I'm just getting input (much to the discomfort of the sales deptartment which gets hassled for models that are not planned)

I must also point out that if there is too much hassle to the sales dept, I will have to stop sharing. That means that if any of these photos show up anywhere else...I'll have to stop.

Now we'll get to see whether cooperation is stronger than the urge to publish against our wishes.
sal

OK, people, you heard THE MAN. So let's respect his wishes, because I think a LOT of us want to see this happen, and definitely want to keep getting the "inside scoop."

Thanks Sal.

------------------
Work hard, play hard, live long.
Outlaw_Dogboy

Back