Large Sebenza Lock Stick

Hey,

I am wondering how many of you guys have experienced lock stick on your large sebenza?

I have tried cleaning the knife and running it dry (no grease), pencil graphite on the blade tang, sharpie on the blade tang, sending it in to CRK (and them telling me it is fine). None of these fully removed the lock stick. The lock stick isn't a lot, but it is there. I do not experience this on my Small Sebenza 21 or my Mnandi. I tried posting this on the maintenance thread but after some time on trying to break it in and all that, i decided to open up a new thread.

I really don't know what to do other than sell it. I really like the Large 21 but I was wondering how widespread of an issue this is or if it just doesn't bother most people. This is making me want to just sell it and buy another one, go for an umnumzaan or a large insingo inkosi instead.

• 2 Large Regulars, quite a bit of stick
  • 1 Large Classic Micarta Inlays, moderate stick
  • 1 Large 21 Carbon Fiber Inlays, slight stick
I find the stick on the Regulars to be too much. One just returned from the spa. Luckily I don't carry any of these and no longer own the CF inlay. I only sold that because I don't like the polished blades. Slight stick doesn't bother me. 25/Inkosi/Umnumzaans are all silky smooth. Ceramic lock interface is the best:D

_DSC4612%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsdnyxw7ie.jpg

_DSC4615%20Edit%20Layers%201024%20Pixel%208_zpsauhjmvwz.jpg

It is just weird that my small and mnandi has no stick... I have a Large with CF inlays. I think I'm going to sell it and pick up an unum instead.. and get an inkosi insigne instead. Stick just bugs me so much, especially with the price of the knife.

It is weird that both of our large carbon fiber inlays had some stick. My other 21s (large and small) have none, including the small Insingo with CF inlays.

It is weird that both of our large carbon fiber inlays had some stick. My other 21s (large and small) have none, including the small Insingo with CF inlays.

That is weird.. I am wondering if it has to do with polishing the titanium... When I was looking at CF Inlays, the first seller I found said his had stick too. I really want a plain jane insingo and an umnum, but I don't want to take a chance getting one with lock stick.

I think it is probably just a random coincidence. My large has no stick but I have a small plain Jane with some lock stick, I doubt a certain size or configuration is more prone to it

None of mine have lock stick. I have large and small 21's, Zaans, Mnandis, large and small Regular. No lock stick probs at all.

While we're on the subject, is it normal on large plain 21 for the pocket clip to not be completely tight to the lockbar when the lock is engaged. So if I hit the bottom of the clip it can kind of buzz against the activated lock like a tuning fork. It is tight to the lockbar when the knife is closed though.

Nope it got bent out, install it upside down and bend it back a little bit, but not too much or it will put too much pressure on the lock bar

My large 21 had a lot of stick, no work-around fix on earth could get rid of it. I just keep using the hell out of it. It's funny tho, some days the stick decides to just disappear, other days it's there, i just let the knife have it's own moments. The more you just use it like a tool and enjoy the scratches it gets, the less the stick bothers you.

Only Sebenzas that have ever had any lock stick are those of the Regular variety.

I'm wondering if when you are unlocking the knife you are putting pressure on the back of the blade before the lockbar clears, which make it scrape across the lockbar causing it to bite in a little?

If not, can you take a picture of the lockbar and blade tang faces?

Nope it got bent out, install it upside down and bend it back a little bit, but not too much or it will put too much pressure on the lock bar
Mind blown.

I've always used a vice with padding, but this sounds awesome.

Are you talking about the slight hesitation when you first disengage the lock bar that requires a little pressure to make the lock bar start to travel ?
Hell, I thought they were supposed to be like that. If that's what you're calling lock stick, then no it doesn't me at all. I've always thought it made for a better lock up.

I have one 'Zaan with zero lock stick. I have another with a small amount, occasionally noticable but not anoying. So I guess it's variable, even with the ceramic ball.

In my experience large 21's often have some mild to moderate stick and small 21's tend to have little to no stick. I have had lock jamming issues on 2 larges after cutting through tough material. Both times the lockup went from having a consistent, mild stickyneess when disengaging to having a progressively worsening jamming with gouging of the lock face. In both cases the lock face needed to be re-carbidized by CRK. I am a little more careful with them these days and switch to an Emmerson if I know I will be demanding a lot of my knife. Still love all of them though and they are still my most used knives.

I had a large regular with lock stick but supposedly that's normal for them. My large 21 had it at one point when it was a few weeks old but it eventually went away. I assumed I got rid of it after a cleaning or the knife just "broke in" and fixed it in its own. It wasn't significant and didn't bother me as much as on the regular so I wasn't really paying attention enough to noticed when it went away.

Only Sebenzas that have ever had any lock stick are those of the Regular variety.

I'm wondering if when you are unlocking the knife you are putting pressure on the back of the blade before the lockbar clears, which make it scrape across the lockbar causing it to bite in a little?

If not, can you take a picture of the lockbar and blade tang faces?

No, no pressure at all. Sometimes there is no stick, but most of the time is just a bit of stick. Though sometimes there is a lot of stick. I don't know what else to do other than just sell it.

HbsEfpo.jpg

Gkf5l9I.jpg

CmHcAoq.jpg

I know lock stick is annoying but you can also live with it. You said it's just a little, right? Does it affect your ability to disengage the lock? If it doesn't that's why CRK probably said it's fine. If it takes effort to disengage the lock then take it up with CRK again because that isn't how the knife is supposed to function. The knife doesn't sound broken or unusable so I don't think you HAVE to sell it, but you shouldn't have these issues with the inkosi or Unnumzaan that you are considering. Just please disclose this to the next buyer so they know what they are getting.

Back