Latest ZT and Medford purchase

Thought I would throw down a couple photos and some commentary about these knives. New to the forum of blade-ness.

I use a knife almost every day at work and the most recent EDC was the DPX Hest folder. The quick open notch/ bottle opener is great for one-handed operation, especially when I am working off of a ladder. I had several Emerson models previously and enjoyed the wave feature, but ( here we go ) the decrease in fit and finish vs. price on the Emerson stuff ticked me off, so I sold them.

I ordered the ZT and Medford 187 at the same time. The ZT 620 is what the Emerson SHOULD be. This is my first ZT and its like , oooohhhhh... or sliding your hand into an Elk skin glove.

Which brings me to the Praetorian T. I want to love this knife, but I hate the grip. The lock scale side sticks out too far and the relief cut at the bend is too thin against your finger, when gripping hard. The tumbled finish is too smooth to open on the first try ( thumb notch ). Break in required. Ugh. The scales on the praetorian are too thin overall, .123" .. vs. .160" on the DPX. The 187 DPT is pretty cool, but lacks real world usefulness on the job. I have carried it for two weeks and I sure miss the easy open DPX.

The Medford 187 overall thickness absolute drawfs the other knives. Can you explain a little more why it lacks real work usefulness?

Ah, yes. Maybe too strong a comment but to explain better... This will be a situational thing.... the shorter blade of the DPX doesn't leave you as open to problems , when working in close proximity to other things you don't want to cut or touch. Say my wire strippers are somewhere else and I need a quick ring around some insulation. The 187 is long and requires repositioning of the hand while the shorter DPX is quicker and back in the pocket. Size issue I guess.

Closing the 187 can result in a small cut if you are over-exuberant. Same with the ZT. The DPX will rest against your thumb without damage. Meaning, one handed closing , right hand with index finger bringing the blade back to close. You learn to roll your thumb out of the way when one-hand closing, but you can be less careful with DPX and not bleed. Now, don't get me wrong, the 187 is way tough and has immense cool factor on the job.

Last edited:
Back