leather kydex sandwich - finishing edges

You can use a belt sander, drum sander, dremel with the sanding barrel etc. to even the edges. Just don't burn the edges of the leather with any of the power tools. Then, just use sandpaper starting at 220 grit and work your way up the grits to your desired finish. You can use saddle soap and water, gum tragacanth, or any other method of wetting and burnishing the edges. Some use canvas, wood burnishers by hand or motor etc. The key is to get some heat to the wet edge so burnishing can take place.
I don't think edge kote will stick to kydex. I would think you would want to see the color difference between the kydex and the leather edge. You may want to leave the leather natural, or use dye to color and dress up the leather edge. In the photos above, that's just sanded. Those edges are not burnished or dyed. There's many ways to achieve whatever edge you're looking to get. You can search for threads on this forum, Youtube, Google etc. for finishing edges. Hope this gives you a start. Here's a sanded, dyed, burnished edge example.
tVgoJOE.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.
No the edges haven't been finished yet. Been trying to decide what to do with them since i dont think edge kote will stick to the kydex.
Never tried this kind of sheath before, usually its either Kydex or Leather.

Hm maybe i will leave them natural or just dye the Leather not edge kote.

Thanks again.

Started with 220 grit and worked my way through 320, 400, and 500. Dyed the edge and let it dry. Followed with saddle soap and water and burnished with a piece of denim from an old pair of jeans. Rub fast and pretty hard to get some heat into the leather.

Last edited:
Started with 220 grit and worked my way through 320, 400, and 500. Dyed the edge and let it dry. Followed with saddle soap and water and burnished with a piece of denim from an old pain of jeans. Rub fast and pretty hard to get some heat into the leather.

It's a tried and true method. My edges improved 500% doing it this way.

Started with 220 grit and worked my way through 320, 400, and 500. Dyed the edge and let it dry. Followed with saddle soap and water and burnished with a piece of denim from an old pain of jeans. Rub fast and pretty hard to get some heat into the leather.
Thank you for all the information, but what dye did you used for edges?
I'm currently dying leather sheats with Fiebing's PRO DYE and Resolene, should I use the same on edges too?

I'm using Fiebing's Pro Dye on the sheath and the edges. I don't use Resoline on any part of the sheath. From what I've read, Resoline will eventually crack.

So, let me get this straight on how You finish edges on knife sheaths:

1. You take off the sharp edges with leather edger tool.
2. You smooth it with sandpaper from 220 grit towards the 500 grit.
3. Dye the edge with Fiebing's PRO DYE
4. Wait it dry a few hours
5. Burnish with saddle soap, water and jeans(with friction for heat).

Is that a correct procedure to finish Your edges?
If so, is it okay to use Seal's fat instead of Saddle soap? I don't know where to get saddle soap, but I do have seal's fat to condition leather on surfaces.

Thank You for Your replies.

That will give ya good edge. You can probably use the seal fat though I've never tried it. Lots of different things will work like plain water, or saliva. You can also use beeswax or paraffin or several commercial preparations like gum tragacanth or Wyo Quick Slick which is my favorite. You can also use plain canvas to rub. Sometimes this is better if ya don't dye the edges as the jeans can leave the occasional blue dye transfer. I also find it important to sand and rub in both directions. If ya don't sometimes ya can get a grain or nap to your edge that you can't really see but ya can feel.

So, let me get this straight on how You finish edges on knife sheaths:

1. You take off the sharp edges with leather edger tool.
2. You smooth it with sandpaper from 220 grit towards the 500 grit.
3. Dye the edge with Fiebing's PRO DYE
4. Wait it dry a few hours
5. Burnish with saddle soap, water and jeans(with friction for heat).

Is that a correct procedure to finish Your edges?
If so, is it okay to use Seal's fat instead of Saddle soap? I don't know where to get saddle soap, but I do have seal's fat to condition leather on surfaces.

Thank You for Your replies.

That's it. Yes, you can use an edger or just use your sandpaper at the corners. You don't have to wait a few hours. The pro dye flashes off pretty quick. You can also use a hairdryer.
( I take it you're not in the USA ? Seal's Fat ) I've never used it, nor would I even know where to get it.
If you can get Fiebing's pro dye, you can probably get their saddle soap. Yes with a piece of denim from old jeans. Not much blue color left with an old pair. I prefer it over canvas. Some canvas can be too coarse for me.

Back