Leather Sheath Care and Mantenance

leatherman

leathermoderator
How's this for a first thread in my series of leather tutorials. Lest start with the basics!

We'll break it down to the stages of leather needs and finishes.

I'm going to start with how I finish my sheaths and how to take care of leather that has been finished with NATURAL finishes.

We will go on to leather finished with things like varnish, lacquer, clear acrylics and more. Those pose a few interesting issues.

Exotics! oh yea, those pose a few new issues that might not be readily known by the collector and how to deal with those by the maker. Yes, there are right and wrong ways to deal with each type of preservation.

PLEASE! If you have knowledge to offer, PLEASE do chip in but ONLY if its constructive. IF your here to berate anyone for their choices you will be dealt with accordingly.

I am an advocate of natural finishes and treatments, thats me, not necessarily you. Lets talk if you have a favorite technique, but lets not if your way is the only way and anyone else is stupid for thinking different.

Lets get on with it! :D

I use fiebings resolene mixed with water to finish my products, makes it nice and shiny and I think it's supposed to seal it up too. I have never tried any other finish though.

I've heard good things about Resolene, never tried it but some old timers hanging around the Leather Factory back in the day swear by it. Good enough for me! :D

I use a mix of things depending on the user/customer.

First finish is Leather Balm with Atom Wax. Its a watery thin product that seems to penetrate well and leaves a semi hard finish behind. Good for solid work that doesn't bend, but crazes a little when bent for belt loops and keeper straps. And it tends to let water soak in a little.

Second finish is Aussie Leather Conditioner. This is a beeswax/oil mix that effectively water resists the leather and reduces the crazing down to zero. It seems to bond with the Atom Wax and produce a best of both worlds finish.

That double whammy works very well. The Aussie stuff alone leaves a very mellow sheen, not shiny at all. Preferable to those who dont like the plastic shine of artificial coatings like acrylics and lacquers

Back