Leather softener?

SRWeldon

Platinum Member
I bought a new knife that came with a nice leather sheath. The sheath is VERY stiff. What's the best stuff to put on it to soften it up? Also HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

I bought a new knife that came with a nice leather sheath. The sheath is VERY stiff. What's the best stuff to put on it to soften it up? Also HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

I really like Huberds , Obenaufs , skidmores , and Smiths balm products. The key is to start off with very light coat(s) and allow product to penetrate. Use products sparingly as to NOT saturate and allow time between coats. That way you can control how soft your looking to make it.
There’s also neatsfoot oil , I only use the 100% from Fiebings and NOT the neatsfoot oil compound version. Again follow the less is more rule and space out applying it.
Also helps if you know what leather the sheath is built from. Leather can respond differently depending on its tannage.

Hope this helps and Happy holidays 🙂

I’m sure more makers will respond here👍 Best to wait and gather as much info as you can.

I wouldn't soften it at all. It's supposed to protect you and a floppy sheath won't do that as well as a stiffer one. I treat all my leather sheaths with SnowSeal, which seals the leather so it won't absorb moisture that will rust your blade, and preserves the leather indefinitely.

I'll second Bill's advice and add that too much of those kinds of oils will cause your sheath to fall apart over time, so...just a dab'll do ya!

Back