Leatherman Alternatives?

I love the Swiss tool, but my main attraction to the SOG (I'm considering the Powerlock) is that I can service it myself and replace the tools if need be (something I would've LOVED from my LM). I like the look of the Swisstool but I am curiiouse about warranty with Victorinox, anyone have experience with that?

Comparing Leatherman to Victorinox warranties:

Used Leatherman warranty 4 times. Sent in the tool, got return or replacement each within 10 days, no charge.
Used Vic warranty once. Sent in the sick Vic :D , got return in 4 weeks, $5 charge for postage and handling.

Both companies did good fixes, Vic was slow but no big deal if you are not in hurry, and $5 isn't much.

One thing I should mention on the swisstool is why I decided to try it. It was a negative review on a big online shopping site. The reviewer was unhappy that it didn't "wear in" so that the pliers could be flipped open and closed one handed like his old leatherman. Personally I didn't like the looseness in the handles when trying to use the pliers on other people's multitools, so that was a positive attribute to me. It wouldn't be to everyone and may be something to keep in mind.

Another big feature exclusive to the Swisstool is that its also a true SAK with the same, albeit bigger, blade. The serrated blade is also packed in there, or alternatively scissors or rescue blade.

One of the few SAK models with steel handles with nearly the same tools as the Champion but half the width having the tools. Not just a multi-tool with a blade, nor a knife with tools. Its a multi-tool and its a SAK.

Its probably the most durable SAK available.

I like my Surge. I know you are looking for something outside of the Leatherman family but I would have to ask if you have used the surge. It's a Wave on steroids and then some. I have to say they are better than most others I have used.

SOG and Victorinox make very good pliers based multi-tools. I prefer Vic, but I am liking my little Leatherman Squirt and Style.

Comparing Leatherman to Victorinox warranties:

Used Leatherman warranty 4 times. Sent in the tool, got return or replacement each within 10 days, no charge.
Used Vic warranty once. Sent in the sick Vic :D , got return in 4 weeks, $5 charge for postage and handling.

Both companies did good fixes, Vic was slow but no big deal if you are not in hurry, and $5 isn't much.

I do have to say the customer service from letherman is absolutely fantastic. I have not , nor do I know anyone who used Vic warranty . I think that being said, the fact is I have never broken a SAK. They are built so well it almost doesnt matter if they have a warranty. Glad to hear they have a good warranty service.

Back