Leatherman "Garage #5" ? ? ?

For twenty years, my EDC has been a Leatherman Wave in one version or another. Letherman has a large number of models now and many models have several versions. And now, I would be open to some other Wave-like multitool if it was somehow more rugged or had better knife steel . . .

I ran across this video introducing the "Garage" but I can't find a bettr review or any offering on the Leatherman website.

Anyone?

You gave up too easily. Just a little bit more searching would have answered all of your questions.

Leatherman Garage is a section on the Leatherman web site for small, one time, limited run batches to be sold. Just go to their web site and you can see all the batches there.

This was batch 5. It's no longer available from Leatherman. There is supposedly a new upcoming model called the Leatherman Arc which will be very similar to it.

The Garage is intended for prototyping new Leatherman features. Small product launches, individually numbered, built by hand, hand-tensioned, hand-sharpened, and made in USA. The hype around the drops are what drives the secondary prices through the roof. For example, Garage 005 sold for $275 retail and on eBay, they are reselling for about $700. There was a total of 1,983 Garage 005 released, as 1983 is the year Leatherman was founded.

However, most are not happy with how Leatherman handles the Garage series. The Leatherman company has some of the worst website servers, period. Trying to get one of the garages is a real battle. I'm not sure why they don't increase their support and server size to accommodate, they know it's going to be busy and they are not a small business, releasing products for 40 years should give you an idea of how to run a website. "Having a lot of traffic" is no longer an excuse in 2023, invest in more servers and support for your customers.

Here are a few more reviews of the Garage 005 that I enjoyed - Max Review - KVP Review - Urban Review

The Garage 005 is a "prototype" of what will be released soon, the ARC - it will have a MagnaCut blade and will be released this fall, rumor is in October for $229. Here is a solid comparison video about the Garage 005 and Arc.

Back