Leatherman PST assistance

Gravelface

Gold Member
So, this Leatherman holds near and dear sentimental value to me, she is my first multi tool I ever owned, issued to me at Ft Hood in 2002. She served me well with…..everything and I was wearing her on the day I was hit by a roadside bomb in Iraq. She’s been a most faithful companion for over 20 years and I cannot overstate that I am attached to it.

Over the years I haven’t always treated her with care as evident by the modified plier tips, but she’s so broken in that I can flip her like a butterfly knife and recently…….and foolishly I was prying with the knife and snapped it near the base. Leatherman stated that won’t send out just the blade but would be more than happy to replace it IF I send it in. Sorry, but in absolutely no way will I put her in a box and mail it away.

So I’m turning to you fine folks for advice. Best place or way to source a proper replacement blade and is it easy to swap it out myself if I can get one. Also what exact model is it, just Leatherman PST?

As always, I appreciate any advice / tips ….etc.F372AE00-D234-497C-A93D-083B49C74371.jpeg

take it to LM in person and (patiently) wait until the blade transplant operation is completed, sign the discarge papers abd take her home?

find used on the big auction site (or local pawn shoppe?) for parts?

Remember NOT to pry with the blade again?

Fnd a local jewler or welding shoppe or a "fix it" shoppe that can laser weld it into one piece again?

I don't think duct tape & bailing will be able to fix that ... I guess there are limits to what they can do. 🤯

Is this a PST model? Compatibility with any other model attachments? Are there generational upgrades within the same model as this one is dated 93.

I have sent tools to Leatherman and to Buck. If you declare it "sentimental" when you send it in, they will either repair your exact tool, or they will send it back to you as is. I would trust them to take good care of it. Send it priority mail or UPS to make sure it gets there. Or purchase the necessary tools for removing and replacing the knurled screws and find a donor PST somewhere, either on line or at a pawn shop. It looks like your blade is the short clip, the latest of the three different blades that were used in PSTs. They are very common. Save the donor tool and the broken blade and send them in for repair! T-A

It's not too hard to replace a blade on those. My first one back in the 80's I had one of those knurled screws break. I replaced it with a regular screw and nut and used it that way for years before replacing the tool with a Wave. You can pick up a donor on eBay pretty cheap.

I second yablanowitz. If you want to go the DIY route, you ought to be able to find a replacement blade on Ebay (it'll probably be a used blade, but at least it will be in one piece).

I know from my own experience that the long clip and short clip blades are interchangeable; I replaced the long clip blade on my '94 PST with a short clip blade with no problem.

People also make and sell aftermarket disassembly wrenches for those knurled screws; search "Leatherman disassembly wrench" or similar on Ebay or Etsy and you'll find at least a few options. Here's one:

So, this Leatherman holds near and dear sentimental value to me, she is my first multi tool I ever owned, issued to me at Ft Hood in 2002. She served me well with…..everything and I was wearing her on the day I was hit by a roadside bomb in Iraq. She’s been a most faithful companion for over 20 years and I cannot overstate that I am attached to it.

Over the years I haven’t always treated her with care as evident by the modified plier tips, but she’s so broken in that I can flip her like a butterfly knife and recently…….and foolishly I was prying with the knife and snapped it near the base. Leatherman stated that won’t send out just the blade but would be more than happy to replace it IF I send it in. Sorry, but in absolutely no way will I put her in a box and mail it away.

So I’m turning to you fine folks for advice. Best place or way to source a proper replacement blade and is it easy to swap it out myself if I can get one. Also what exact model is it, just Leatherman PST?

As always, I appreciate any advice / tips ….etc.View attachment 2290402
Any progress on getting your PST repaired? T-A

I sent him one for parts, but he'll need to order the tool or come up with a couple pairs of pliers that'll get the job done without chewing up the fasteners too much.
Very nice of you! He needs to put the donor tool back together with the broken blade and send it in for repair. They'll probably send him a newer tool like a Rebar or a Bond. We'll see. T-A

Very nice of you! He needs to put the donor tool back together with the broken blade and send it in for repair. They'll probably send him a newer tool like a Rebar or a Bond. We'll see. T-A
That would be a good idea for him if having taken it apart doesn't void the warranty.
I just figured he'd keep it for spare parts as needed, but he can do whatever he wants with it.

Back