Leatherman Rebar: the Eagle has landed.

powernoodle

Power Member
This is not so much a review as it is just a quick look at the Leatherman Rebar. I've really been looking forward to the Rebar, and (aside from the lack of outside blade deployment) could envision it as supplanting the Wave as Leatherman's flagship model. This is not insignificant for those of us who carry, hoard, use and abuse MTs.

IMG_2534.jpg

Leatherman Rebar: the business end.

IMG_2520.jpg

With Sidekick, top.

First impression is that it is what you think it is - a junior sized ST300, with similar but scaled down functionality.

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

The best way to describe this tool is this: if you have the Supertool 300, you pretty much know everything about the Rebar. And has been often noted, its basically a scaled down version of the ST300. Same feel, same deployment, same lock, same (just about) everything. Just right-sized for EDC, with smaller knife, file, phillips, etc. One thing I noted, which the pics don't capture, is how thin the Rebar is relative to the ST300.

It does feel strange after getting used to the ST300, but the Rebar is much more manageable on the belt. When closed, the halves do wiggle up and down, but this is true on the ST300. The tools clump as we have all gotten used to with Leatherman. And as with all MTs, I could do without the serrated blade and can opener, which would make room for scissors, but maybe others don't share that view.

I selected the leather sheath over the nylon. It is thin and cheapish in construction, but reduces bulk on the belt relative to the (likely) more durable nylon/velcro flavor. Nylon might be preferred by the working man, where durability and ease of deployment are important.

IMG_2521.jpg

ST300, Rebar and Sidekick. Note the lack of spring-loaded pliers on the ST300 and Rebar.

IMG_2524.jpg

Rebar, top. As with the ST300, the plier head is finely machined and the jaws are exactly matched at the tip. The "regular pliers" portion is not large. Time will tell if it is adequate for its intended usage. The replaceable cutters take up a lot of space which would otherwise be used by the plier. Note how there are only about 4 teeth on each side of the Rebar's "regular plier" section.

IMG_2529.jpg

First impression - its good stuff. With its truncated tool set, its maybe more suited for EDC and light duty than its beefy big brother. But at $50 shipped, and being just the right size for easy belt carry, it gets the highly coveted Powernoodle seal of approval.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for the preview :) I'm really looking forward to getting a BO Rebar to go with my ST300.

I'm a little Leatherman-ignorant. What advantages (if any) does this have over the Wave, which has some outside-accessible tools? That is the thing that turned me away from these and back to Victorinox SAKs. (and their plier-based MTs, too)

Jeremy, I guess that one selling point, relative to the Wave, is the replaceable wire cutters. Another is the real, 3-dimensional phillips on the Rebar, and you don't have to flip the driver around to have a flat driver. But its real subjective as to what is "best", you know? To each his own.

I like that.
As an electrician, I like the idea of the replaceable wire cutters.
I spend $20 to $30 on a pair of wire strippers and once the cutting edge wears out they are garbage. I wish klein tools would do that.

The ST300 is a beast to carry so I am excited to pick up a more manageable version (rebar).

I use the 300 every day on the job. Best of the super tools so far. I have had the Rebar on pre-order since March and I'm still waiting:grumpy:
Powernoodle must have relative working at Leatherman.

Good one Powernoodle. I always liked the 300, but it was overkill for my current needs right now. How does it compare to the Fuse/Core series (ignoring the pliers)?

Well, the Rebar is very similar in size to the Fuse, though the Rebar is slightly thinner. You lose the Fuse's scissor, but gain a file, saw and replaceable cutters. The Rebar will cost $15-$20 more than the Fuse (which is now retired, but still available).

I love the knifeless Fuse, btw.

The Core is more comparable to the ST300.

Great review. Thank you for the time it might have taken. Was pretty helpful. Are the blades of the Rebar 420HC or S30V?

Kind regards

I'm having a hard time getting into them, too. I like them but have several cheap versions that I never use. I wish they would come with carbon steel blades. That would rock!!!

But at $50 shipped, and being just the right size for easy belt carry, it gets the highly coveted Powernoodle seal of approval.

At that price looks like it will get a lot of folks seal. And it even includes a sheath.

Definitely on my to get list.

Thanks for the write up, be looking forward to your comments after you handle it.

Back