Legal troubles with autos in Canada.

Hey! Im getting two O.T.F. knifes off amozon.com I want to get there third gen Schrade Viper 4034 and the Schrade SCHOTF6. I bought them on amozon.com but i live in Canada. And i will need to take them across the border. I just wanted to know if this was legal because i have been hearing that since the switch is on the blade it is legal but then i went to the cbsa website and saw that the same brand and type of knife was illegal in Canada. The SCHOTF3B Viper Out-the-Front Assisted Opening knife from Schrade meets the criteria of a PROHIBETED WEAPON as laid out in the Criminal Code and Memorandum D19-13-2 and is therefore classified under tariff item 9898.00.00 by GIR 1. Im new to the whole otf/automatic knife scene and any advise would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Cheers- Andreas!

We don't generally discuss the legal side of automatic knives to protect the forum and its participants from government harassment. Personally, from what I've read from Canadians about your Customs and non-auto knives, you should cancel your order asap.

There is a bladeforums.com forums called "knife laws" that would be a better place to ask.

In the USA, the models you refer to are categorized as assisted openers, not automatics. However, that doesn't mean Canada law categorizes them the same way. Definitely check before you attempt anything that might land you in trouble.

^yep. agree with brownshoe

canada is not very knife friendly in many ways compared to the usa, and the usa in certain sections isn't so friendly either. those are assisted opens not autos , but same thing under canadian law i believe? banned knife is a banned knife. those assisted openers are likely illegal in canada. canada doesn't like springs and knives to be together....generally. cancel that order and don't get in big trouble for a spring.....

I remember my uncle, a custom knife maker and Police officer, got stopped and searched everybtime he went to a knife show in Canada. He would just state the knives were for hunting bear.

No switch blades or such. Just fixed blades.

Trying to slink across the border with what you know to be illegal knives is a recipe fore ruining the rest of your life.

Ok most assisted openers are OK according to Canadian law. This is exactly because you push a device attatched to the blade to overcome spring tension which then shoots the blade out. If you push a button or lever on the handle and the bladencomes out it is considered an auto and thus illegal. (I know, stupid right?) Again assisted knives are legal in Canada.

For some reason these Schrade assisted OTF knives are treated as autos in Canada despite the meeting the criteria for being one.

Another note; most cops know squat about knives. Good luck explaining to an officer or border guard that your knife is a legal assisted opener and not an illegal auto.

Last edited:
Ok most assisted openers are OK according to Canadian law. This is exactly because you push a device attatched to the blade to overcome spring tension which then shoots the blade out. If you push a button or lever on the handle and the bladencomes out it is considered an auto and thus illegal. (I know, stupid right?) Again assisted knives are legal in Canada.

For some reason these Schrade assisted OTF knives are treated as autos in Canada despite the meeting the criteria for being one.

Another note; most cops know squat about knives. Good luck explaining to an officer or border guard that your knife is a legal assisted opener and not an illegal auto.

They disappeared from illinois stores too. In that state to qualify as an assisted opener their needs to be bias towards closure. On those knives the spring is compressed and the bias is for the blade to fly open. And because of the wording of illinois law it would seems they are looked at as autos.

Best advice, don't buy knives from Amazon, don't buy knives from the US. Yes you might pay a little markup, but you will know that you can send your knife back to the store if need be, there is no trouble with customs (the store has already taken care of that) and you won't accidentally loose out by buying a knife you can't have. Also since Amazon is currently struggling with fakes, its generally better to buy from a reputable store, there are several.

Any knife can be declared a prohibited weapon, even if if doesn't fit any of the criteria. So if its been listed, then tough luck. At least you looked first, lots don't then come here wondering why they are in trouble.

Back