Les Pauls & highly finished khukuris

I have a '79 Gibson Les Paul Custom (electric guitar) that I hardly ever play, except only rarely in the studio (I can't bring myself to--it's too pretty), but I have a beat up Ibanez Iceman I got at a pawn shop for $150, with stickers all over it, which I play all the time, because I have no fear of dinging it or scratching it up.

I think this same thing carries over into khukuris. If my khuk has a particularly beautiful finish (almost mirror-like, for instance), I have a hard time taking it out and using it hard for fear of ruining the finish. Does anyone else have this problem?

------------------
"perfect peace mountains robed in glory
coming into view
father speaks son becomes the story
essence of all true" --King's X

I have the same problem , but then late at nite I hear them talking to me . They say things like " Let me out to play " and "Look at that coffee table , I think I can cut right through it " . I know now that to keep my khuks happy they must be allowed to cut and chop . And it makes me happy too.

[This message has been edited by Edd Harbin (edited 06-22-2000).]

X-head: I too cringe when I think of highly polished khukuris being "dinged" in use - EVERY TIME I SHIP ONE OUT. However, the situation is like a little devil and a little angel sitting on my shoulder. One of them (I'm not sure who) gets me all sad about the tiny scratches and loss of "shine" that will occur when you use a khukuri. The other one (again, not sure who is who) tells me to shut up and pack - that these babies are not meant to be shiny things on walls.

I usually smile at both little creatures and continue on my way, as there is something that they don't know: that scratches can be removed and polishes restored. Can you have the best of both worlds with only one khukuri? Yes, you can.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Edd & Craig, good points. I just wanted to see if I was the only one who struggles with this, or if there were others out there who go through that dilemma too. I was wondering if I need help, until I read Edd's post about his coffee table. Sounds like his furniture is about to have a "new look". Interior re-decorating with khukuris...is there a book on that? Edd, Lord help your wife once you're done with all the furniture and you start eyeing her beenie babys.
wink.gif

------------------
coming into view

I made that coffee table and I can unmake it if I want to . The beenie babies are anouther story .

Well, your post had me laughing when I read that. I got a really vivid mental picture of your coffee table before and after.

------------------
coming into view

Yes. I have the same problem. My solution is to buy another knife and use one. Unless of course the second knife is also to beautiful to use, in which case that calls for another knife...
In the case of my Les Paul custom, she's been pretty beat up over the years and that's now part of her beauty.

Back