Lets follow along with the "rewrap your handle" pictures

I have studied the re-wrap your handle pictures on Strider's web page. I really would like to know how they get such a cool wrap on their handles. Perhaps someone could help me out on this.

Pix 1 Nothing hard about this pix... a loop through the handle near the blade, the two ends through a lower hole in the handle and then back through the loop. Note that there are only two ends to a single piece of cord.

Pix 2 Starts to confuse me. The two ends are clearly where they are supposed to be, but a third end is now starting to be wrapped down the handle. Where does this third end come from? Its gotta be one of the original ends, but how?

Pix 3 Almost done wrapping the the first wrap. Note that the original two ends are still out the front of the wrap and the third end is near the back of the knife.

Between Pix 3 and Pix 4 the mysterious third end disappears.

Pix 4 The wrapping back and across with the original ends begins for the final design and wrap. From here, it is now clear how to finish.

Help please. I need the sleep...

Joe

its two peices of paracord, the first peice (pic 1)(which is the longer one that ends up being on the outside diamond part) goes on first, i belive mick said it should be something like 7 feet (not quite sure though)

after pic1 you pull the two ends up out of the way on the top, then you get a second peice of paracord put the end of it an inch or two from the hilt then start wrapping it towards the back (the inch or two in the beggining so the wrap will hold itself in place)
then when you get to the end of the handle with the second peice you can put the end of it through the last wrap and a little dab of glue will help.
the second peice of paracord might(not sure) need to be hollowed out to do this, but im not sure.

then you take the two ends of the long peice and start the diamond wrap part.

:D

Okay...
There are two pieces of cord, one is the first that you see, it is about twelve feet long.
The second is about six feet and has the guts removed.

The cord with no guts is the one you see being wrapped OVER the longer strand with guts.
This cord starts at the guards and wraps towards the butt. The only reason we use this one is that it covers the handle and makes the wrap look nicer when finished.
Once you have wrapped this up to the butt, start your weave.

Hope it helps

m

Now, could someone tell me the proper method for "removing the guts" from paracord?

And, yes, Cormac, learning martial arts (especially internal kung-fu) AND yoga from videotapes is no learning at all. I just wish I'd started making yoga tapes a few years ago, though. I'd be standing on my head in my beach house now.

Hey Kshurika,
I'm looking for info on Qi gong down San Diego way, could you drop me a email if you have any info.
Many Thanks,
Cormac

Mick, thanks a ton. Its all very clear now. Also let me compliment you by saying I have never heard someone convey so much communication with so few of words as you have the knack of doing. Bravo Zulu.

Joe

Cormac:

My e-mail thing isn't working right (hotmail.... What're ya gonna do?) The best chi gung is that associated with internal martial styles. The most highly-trained and most knowledgeable instructor in the S.D. area in regard to internal styles is Mike Patterson in La Mesa. He teaches the most complete styles of Xing Yi (Shanxi) and T'ai ch'i (Chen), as well as Ba Gua. I've never studied with him, but he comes highly recommended by everyone I've ever talked to. His website is www.hsing-i.com. Judging from what I've heard, what I've seen on his website and what I've seen on his tapes (which are made as study guides for his students),if he's a poseur, he's doing a brilliant job of it. Unless you move to the Bay Area, you're not going to do much better and maybe not even then.

By the way, you might want to get into the Chan Ssu Chin (silk reeling) excercises from the Chen family Tai ch'i. They are exqusite for centering the ch'i, as well as just for getting into fantastic shape.

Hope this does you some good. At the old shop, you sold me my beloved AD that saved my life in Varanasi. I'm grateful.

Back