Lets Make A Folding Knife Sheath.....by Special Request

I enjoy making sheaths and find it relaxing compared to loud and messy knife grinding. I can't believe how much I just learned in one post. Thanks for posting and excellent work.

Thanks Dave, I thought that looked familiar, never held one but of course, looked over their site a lot ;) they do go for a few peso's there but the quality seems to back it up too.
G2

Its my second one Gary I sharpened the first one down to the nubbins, I'd used it so much. We make several things that have blood knots in them including Nichole's purses so we use it a lot. Also just about every knife I make has a blood knotted thong on it.

Dave!

Thanks so much for this. I have a million questions - but let me just ask a few:

1) Why do you essentially case the leather after you stitch?
2) How wet is the leather when you take it out to sand on your 120 belt?
3) How wet is it when you put it in the oven?
4) What benefit have you seen from this process of dampening and drying in the oven?

Thanks SO MUCH for this. It means a lot to me.

Jason

I finished this one up Dave. Do you think I should go a little deeper with the knife? It is tight enough in the sheath. I may redo the thong or I may make another sheath. Thanks for a fun project.
John S.
IMG_0189_zpspofyt73v.jpg

IMG_0190_zpsrx2pd7t0.jpg

You're welcome Jason.
1) Lots of reasons. To round the edges after edging, to make the sheath fold better, to flatten out the fold and to stick a knife in there to get some body shape to the knife pouch area, and sanding wet is sooooo much better than sanding dry.
2) I keep it in the water till it sinks then take it out. I don't want to oversaturate things. It will dry some few minutes on the towel because I'm doing other things with the other sheaths such as trimming belt loops flush, punching slots and trimming the bottom side of pancakes flush
3) I like to get it in the oven before the color starts coming back. Not so much because of the oven but because I want to do any wet molding I'm doing before the color comes back. Otherwise where ya rub for the wet molding will be darker.
4) Body, firmness and shape after drying in the oven. It is important to condition after but I think the drying in the oven is essential. I can leave the same sheath out to dry and I don't get the same firmness or shape holding ability. I also believe that the item will dry more completely sooner from this process. My theory is that the leather starts drying from the inside out instead of from the outside in. Theory only based on absolutely nothing except thinking about it and having done this to thousands of sheaths and holsters.

Looking good on that sheath darkmatter. yeah I'd say about another 1/2" or a smidgen more deeper. Lot of that becomes perception on the customers part. If it is in deeper it looks more secure. Nice job! Like your stamping pattern. The last slit on your bloodknot could be a hair longer. Thank the strings will lay flatter and underneath each other.

Here's my second try, came out better, a little tight but should loosen up with a little use. I like the type of sheath overall, it's sits nice on the belt, durable, and looks nice.
Thanks Dave.
IMG_0195_zpsg9iljrrl.jpg

That looks great John!! It really does, nice job. That extra smidgen of depth kinda helps doesn't it? Again kind of a perception thing in the eye of the user. Sorry late getting back been out of town at a wedding.

IMG_0003 by ejoel52, on Flickr Thank you for this pattern. I scaled it down slightly for a small Texas Jack. I used some Ray Holes Saddle Butter for the finish.
IMG950003.jpg

Last edited:
Ya bet T Trapper336 . Pic is not showing. I use Ray Holes Saddle Butter on my saddle, for the parts that touch the horse, like the inside of the fenders etc. Real sweat resistant stuff.

Back