Life Jackets (PFDs)

Last Saturday, my friend and I paddled our sea kayaks under the Golden Gate bridge from nearby Horseshoe Bay. This is what it looks like near the launch site:
GGB04.jpg

That was a photo from several years ago, when things were calmer. On this occasion, there was a 3 foot swell, and breezes up to 10 knots. We timed the trip so the current would be working in our favor.

As we got close to the bridge, I noticed a group of rowers in single rowing shells. They blew by us in their sleek craft. One of them, however stayed behind. I think she was intimidated by the conditions and did not feel comfortable venturing out. I talked to her briefly and she said she would wait for her friends. She was dressed in typical exercise wear: leggings and a light zip up jacket. We were wearing a wet suit, windproof jacket and PFDs. There are several things that bothered me about this situation.
- I was taught never to leave someone by themselves, especially when they don't feel comfortable.
- This person was not dressed for the conditions. If she had capsized, the cold waters of the Bay would have been a huge factor in her ability to recover on her own. Also, no life jacket means that she would have to rely on her craft for buoyancy while trying to right it and climb back on. For those who have done this, you know it is not easy to haul yourself back onto a boat. Women struggle even more with this because it requires upper body strength. A PFD would help by holding your body higher in the water. I've also seen someone try to get back on a narrow scull. It did not look easy.
- The place where she decided to wait (right outside the Golden Gate) was where the worst conditions are. It is a narrow strait that funnels wind and water, magnifying their power. Wave reflection off the point of land also causes confused and larger waves.

I do feel some guilt, because we went on our way, instead of waiting with this person until her group returned. You could say I am a hypocrite for not offering to help, and that would be fair. I guess I didn't feel responsible for her. She was not in immediate danger, and she was literally hundreds of yards from a Coast Guard station. Had she gotten in trouble, there was a fair chance that people on the bridge would spot her or she could swim to shore. If that was someone in my group, I would have volunteered to stay behind while the rest continued exploring.

In general, most people I see on the water don't wear PFDs and are not dressed for immersion. This includes paddle boarders, rowers, outrigger canoeists, and motor boaters. If you look at Coast Guard statistics, 85% of all drowning victims are not wearing a PFD. When I learned to kayak, I was taught from the start: this is the gear you need. I guess these other boaters do not have the same mindset. I love the water, but to me it can quickly become a hostile environment, and I always respect that.

Anyhow, I thought of posting this after the safety glasses discussion in the Axe subforum. The chances aren't high, but accidents happen. Better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Screenshot-2023-04-13-10-57-27-AM.png

^ 2020 stats from the Coast Guard
Notice that Canoe/Kayak (paddlecraft) are second in terms of drowning deaths, by a long stretch. Also, for canoe/kayak, drowning outnumbers other causes of death by 5.7 to 1. Then, look at how many drowning victims did not wear life jackets. A lot of folks would still be alive if they did.

Last edited:
For me I'm a sinker so they're a must have. All fresh water this way so no added buoyancy and even when you do get to the Pacific ocean out there it's cold year round.

I know of many people, friend included, who would have benefited from personal flotation.

Three buddies had a boat sink, and had to cling to coolers. They floated for two days before a Coast Guard cutter spotted them.

Another buddy had his outrigger canoe leash snap, and lost it. He was treading water in blue water. A local ferry accidentally ran over his stray canoe, and called it in.

He was found right after sunset by a miracle. He said he was so tired he was contemplating swallowing seawater and drowning himself.

Another buddy fell off a boat crossing the channel between Maui and Molokai. The crew did not notice until they got to the harbor and went back for him. By some miracle they found him swimming.

I have personally had to pull tourists out of shorebreak. I have no idea why they think it's a good idea to walk into waves 12 feet overhead with strong rip tides.

We lose a lot of surfers and divers too. Leash breaks, get wedged in caves, or swallow sea water and don't have a dive buoy to hang on too.

I have had to ship a body back to the mainland from a client who got caught in the current.

Another friend and his girlfriend ignored my warnings, and climbed onto a shoreline rock line. Turned their back to the ocean, and a rouge wave took them out. Dragged them up shore across jagged rocks, and sucked them back to sea to wedge them both underwater under an outcropping. By the time I got them both out, they were hamburger. Bleeding so much the back of my Jeep was sloshing with blood.

Ocean water is pretty nuts. A few gulps of it will weaken your muscles and makes it hard to breathe.

Its the ultimate wilderness, and too many folks take it too lightly.

Ocean water is pretty nuts. A few gulps of it will weaken your muscles and makes it hard to breathe.
Thanks for sharing those stories. I think people don't think anything will happen to them, until it does.

I remember taking a lesson and trying the scramble kayak rescue, where you shimmy along the deck and try to sit up at the very end. Each time, I'd flip back over when I tried to sit. After 3 tries in the 50 degree water of SF Bay, I was exhausted. Each effort and dunking just sapped the life from my body. I was a strong young buck back then, too. Luckily, it was a lesson and I had help getting back into my kayak.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing those stories. I think people don't think anything will happen to them, until it does.

I remember taking a lesson and trying the scramble kayak rescue, where you shimmy along the deck and try to sit up at the very end. Each time, I'd flip back over when I tried to sit. After 3 tries in the 50 degree water of SF Bay, I was exhausted. Each effort and dunking just sapped the life from my body. I was a strong young buck back then, too. Luckily, it was a lesson and I had help getting back into my kayak.
I hear ya. I used to compete in the men's stock stand up paddle board class, and have experienced some pretty fun stuff. I'll never forget a bull humpback rolling up on me and giving me the googly eye. They have stink breathe lol.

I make sure my leash and gear is on top shape, my phone is in a waterproof bag (doesn't always get a signal tho), and I have water and a protein bar.

I don't paddle or surf nearly as much as I used to, as I am in a make money mode currently. Looking back, I should have invested in an Epirb.

I had been in situations paddling offshore where the swell was so big, that you would disappear in the trough which was 20ft overhead.

Super humbling.

I have seen tiger sharks so big, that when they breach their mouth looks like a garbage can.

Been chased by eels, barracuda ( don't wear shiny jewelry as they are attracted), seals (look like pit bulls underwater), giant manta ray, you name it.

Seen some pretty spooky military stuff too.

Stepping into liquid is like walking on the moon. You need to be prepared as much as you can, but also know you are very, very low on the Totem Pole.

I think also that experience, technique, and mindset is a enormous advantage.

I remember I entered a downwind SUP race that was 10 miles to finish.

Athletes from around the world entered, and several classes were allowed to include unlimited steerable boards.

I saw one dude from Maui that was built like a brick house. Tall, expensive gear, and huge muscles. He lasted three miles before cramping and had to catch a sag wagon.

The guy who won the unlimited was a 60 year old skinny man, who looked like Chicken Bob from the movie Surfs Up. He was paddling smooth, smiling, and never fell off.

I won the stock class, but was totally exhausted, fell multiple times, and had shaky legs haha. My time was well behind the old guy.

I think also that experience, technique, and mindset is a enormous advantage.

I remember I entered a downwind SUP race that was 10 miles to finish.

Athletes from around the world entered, and several classes were allowed to include unlimited steerable boards.

I saw one dude from Maui that was built like a brick house. Tall, expensive gear, and huge muscles. He lasted three miles before cramping and had to catch a sag wagon.

The guy who won the unlimited was a 60 year old skinny man, who looked like Chicken Bob from the movie Surfs Up. He was paddling smooth, smiling, and never fell off.

I won the stock class, but was totally exhausted, fell multiple times, and had shaky legs haha. My time was well behind the old guy.
Endurance events favor a more efficient physique. I did safety kayaking for swims from Alcatraz to SF a couple of times. The body builder types tend to have a hard time because all that muscle is heavy.

Endurance events favor a more efficient physique. I did safety kayaking for swims from Alcatraz to SF a couple of times. The body builder types tend to have a hard time because all that muscle is heavy.
Pride is a thing. This year in the video below they should have cancelled, but due to pressure and money they held the race anyway.

Lots of broken canoes, and one gal had her leg lacerated by a rescue boat prop.

Pride is a thing. This year in the video below they should have cancelled, but due to pressure and money they held the race anyway.

Lots of broken canoes, and one gal had her leg lacerated by a rescue boat prop.

Amazing...
Giant breaking waves, rocks, no PFDs or helmets, boats smashing into each other like matchsticks.
Looks like tons of fun, though!

I was a lifeguard for 2 years and a rescue swimmer on my ship when I was in the US Navy. I am a good swimmer, and I have a lot of respect for the water. It only takes 1 mistake for a fun day to turn tragic. If I'm in water bigger than a pool, I'm wearing a PFD. Just my humble opinion though.

Last Saturday, my friend and I paddled our sea kayaks under the Golden Gate bridge from nearby Horseshoe Bay. This is what it looks like near the launch site:
GGB04.jpg

That was a photo from several years ago, when things were calmer. On this occasion, there was a 3 foot swell, and breezes up to 10 knots. We timed the trip so the current would be working in our favor.

As we got close to the bridge, I noticed a group of rowers in single rowing shells. They blew by us in their sleek craft. One of them, however stayed behind. I think she was intimidated by the conditions and did not feel comfortable venturing out. I talked to her briefly and she said she would wait for her friends. She was dressed in typical exercise wear: leggings and a light zip up jacket. We were wearing a wet suit, windproof jacket and PFDs. There are several things that bothered me about this situation.
- I was taught never to leave someone by themselves, especially when they don't feel comfortable.
- This person was not dressed for the conditions. If she had capsized, the cold waters of the Bay would have been a huge factor in her ability to recover on her own. Also, no life jacket means that she would have to rely on her craft for buoyancy while trying to right it and climb back on. For those who have done this, you know it is not easy to haul yourself back onto a boat. Women struggle even more with this because it requires upper body strength. A PFD would help by holding your body higher in the water. I've also seen someone try to get back on a narrow scull. It did not look easy.
- The place where she decided to wait (right outside the Golden Gate) was where the worst conditions are. It is a narrow strait that funnels wind and water, magnifying their power. Wave reflection off the point of land also causes confused and larger waves.

I do feel some guilt, because we went on our way, instead of waiting with this person until her group returned. You could say I am a hypocrite for not offering to help, and that would be fair. I guess I didn't feel responsible for her. She was not in immediate danger, and she was literally hundreds of yards from a Coast Guard station. Had she gotten in trouble, there was a fair chance that people on the bridge would spot her or she could swim to shore. If that was someone in my group, I would have volunteered to stay behind while the rest continued exploring.

In general, most people I see on the water don't wear PFDs and are not dressed for immersion. This includes paddle boarders, rowers, outrigger canoeists, and motor boaters. If you look at Coast Guard statistics, 85% of all drowning victims are not wearing a PFD. When I learned to kayak, I was taught from the start: this is the gear you need. I guess these other boaters do not have the same mindset. I love the water, but to me it can quickly become a hostile environment, and I always respect that.

Anyhow, I thought of posting this after the safety glasses discussion in the Axe subforum. The chances aren't high, but accidents happen. Better to be safe than sorry.
Good post. I like to THINK I would have stuck around, but I'd have been watching the tides closely just as you must have been. Ultimately, you have to take adult people at their word and if they say they're OK, then move on. After all, she'd already made the right decision not to row into waters she didn't trust.

I see similar situations in equestrian settings all the time. Ugh.

Zieg

I was a lifeguard for 2 years and a rescue swimmer on my ship when I was in the US Navy. I am a good swimmer, and I have a lot of respect for the water. It only takes 1 mistake for a fun day to turn tragic. If I'm in water bigger than a pool, I'm wearing a PFD. Just my humble opinion though.
Thanks for your service.

And I agree, it's an environment that sometimes can lull a person into complacency.

As D Danke42 mentioned earlier, freshwater is a lot less buoyant as well, so getting dunked without a PFD and wearing clothes is a frantic situation.

I learned as a youngster to take of your jeans or pants, tie the legs shut, then capture air through the waist to make a makeshift preserver, which works better than nothing.

The cold weather is a factor you just can't really deal with. If you're exposed your in big trouble.

Back