"Linerless" Performance

Been mulling this around for a couple weeks: linerless g10/zytel spydercos. Wanted to get some other perspectives. Both knives discussed bought online. ‘Bout a month ago, got a Dodo. Black G10, plain S30v, loved it (despite no liner(s)). Something very appealing about the blade and handle design. Fairly smooth opener. Promoted immediately to EDC. Then, read a review here. Up ‘til then, only problem I’d experienced was the knife coming open in my pocket, put a nick in the crease between my lower abdomen, upper leg, The review prompted me to test the lockup, it failed, I sent it back with information on how I tested the blade. A “mhayes” at spyderco said they’d check it out. I asked for repair or replacement. Even if it can’t be “fixed”, I may still EDC it, just have to develop some/more precautions. One of the prime contributors to lock up failure, I think, is handle flex which enabled the ball bearing lock to “roll off” the locking setup. A sheath will help with pocket openings, avoiding more than moderate pressure on the back of the locked up blade will help with the lock release problem. Don’t know yet. Maybe spydie will put in some liners, use stiffer handles. I really like the way this knife works, it takes on anything, and the aesthetics blow me away.
Couple days ago, got my Native. Plain S30v, black flat stainless clip, frn handle. Sits well in the hand, good looking. Blade deployed easily. Closing somewhat sluggish. Releasing the lockback got my fingers in locations where I put a little pressure on the handle opening, found that even slight pressure caused the handle to flex and “pinch” the blade, preventing a clean close. Also noted that palm position during closing could easily interfere with the lockback release which also affected speed and clean finish (that “click”) in closing. The point of the blade set 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch above the handle. An extra press closed the blade, otherwise the portion of the blade above the handle became a hazard and a good start on pocket opening. I suppose I ought to always “look” the blade into the handle, but my Delica, lock back SOG, handful of Ladybugs, and linerless lockback Moki, didn’t need the “look in”; I always get the clean close “click”. I don’t think I’ll be asking spyderco to look at the Native. After handling the knife for awhile and changing my “process”, I developed what appears to be a safe method of handling the native. I just don’t think I’ll be edc’ing it. Might go for the stainless handled II, but it appears to come only in serrated edge, prefer plain.
After trying out my first linerless knife at arguably the best stocked knife store on the island, and listening to the owner go on about why liners weren’t necessary with the new plastic/composite handle materials, I had a serious problem accepting the owner’s rap. Seems like that was about 2, 3 years ago. The plastic handles have been around so long now, I didn’t even think about checking whether a knife had liners.
I’m going back to my anality about liners in my knives.
//brief pause//
Just checked the knives named above (delica, sog, etc) one more time and see such a huge difference in performance of the lockback and overall performance of the knives that I am sending the Native back to spydie for a check. It only costs money, right. Bothers me, a lot.
Comments?
(One ray of sunshine: started edc’ing my gerber air ranger as I worked through the above issues – a really handy, sharp, secure in the hand, smooth, sturdy knife.)

thanks for you insight. i'm sure it will be very helpful for those who don't already own those knives.

i EDC a dodo when the clip works (i've been thru 3 clips in 3 months. the knife has been in a drawer 65% of my ownership of it for that reason) and i love the knife. other than the clip problem, i had a slight problem with lockup...that was resolved when i sent it back. the G-10 slabs are thick and i've not had any issue with handle flex. i feel like we both want to like these knives because their features are great but unfortunatly their flaws are undeniable. the good thing is that spyderco is faithful to fix anything i've asked them to.

Hello

I had the same problems with my Dodo, it opened in my pocket and I got a nasty cut on my hand when reaching in to retrieve some change. The clip also failed twice due to the "bolts/screws" falling apart at the back of the handle.

While I loved the ergonomics of the handle and shape of the blade it had to go. A Bob Lum Chinese Folder took its place. While I can't find any faults with the Bob Lum, I really miss the Dodo's shape, overall feel and the stupid sharp blade.

If Spyderco makes a SS handled version or even if the address the above concerns, I'd love to take another shot at the Dodo.

I've had good results with the Dodo and my linerless models. As far as changing the Dodo to ss, I think that would be making a big mistake. The Dodo is very light and convenient in G-10. If you are having trouble with the screws, try a very small amount of blue loctite.
Matt

if he's having the smae trouble i am with the screws, lockite won't help. i've broke the heads off the screws 3 times. they suck. if you've got a bottle of sucktite i can borrow then i could fix them...maybe.

benchmademan said:
if he's having the smae trouble i am with the screws, lockite won't help. i've broke the heads off the screws 3 times. they suck. if you've got a bottle of sucktite i can borrow then i could fix them...maybe.

That's exactly what happened to my Dodo, the screw heads snapped right off. I'm sorry I wasn't clear before, it seems the heads are machined and then pressed on to the shafts.

It takes almost nothing to break them off, the first one happend when swapping the clip around and the second time the clip caught on sometime and went flying off.

Spyderco is a very innovative company and I love that, however, sometimes the innovation leads to suspect results. I'd recommend avoiding any Spyderco blade that uses this type of pressed together screw.

Just my two cents.

pageophile said:
That's exactly what happened to my Dodo, the screw heads snapped right off. I'm sorry I wasn't clear before, it seems the heads are machined and then pressed on to the shafts. .

Wow. I have never heard of such a thing. Maybe Sal could comment on this. Pressed together screws indeed!!!!!!

I've been carrying a blue G-10 Dodo everyday for the past couple of weeks and have been using it for all sorts of tasks and so far I haven't had a problem. No lock failure to report on my model and I haven't had it open up in my pocket.

The early screw heads on the Dodo clip screws were too thin at the head/thread joint. Thnough we no problems in the factory in assembly, a few customers sheared them by tightening too much. They've since been reinforced.

I'm not sure what is meant by "pressed together screws"?
Dodo clips, we've not yet had any come back yet.??? This is the first compaint we've heard.

I have not heard of "twist" affecting a linear lock like lockbacks. I have heard of twist affecting linerlocks. We've sold millions of linerless FRN lockbacks with few problems, but we always keep an open mind.

Our new Centofante 3 is an FRN model that uses a single nested liner. It's too new for feedback yet.

Apprciate the input.

sal

Sal Glesser said:
The early screw heads on the Dodo clip screws were too thin at the head/thread joint. Thnough we no problems in the factory in assembly, a few customers sheared them by tightening too much. They've since been reinforced.

I'm not sure what is meant by "pressed together screws"?
Dodo clips, we've not yet had any come back yet.??? This is the first compaint we've heard.

I have not heard of "twist" affecting a linear lock like lockbacks. I have heard of twist affecting linerlocks. We've sold millions of linerless FRN lockbacks with few problems, but we always keep an open mind.

Our new Centofante 3 is an FRN model that uses a single nested liner. It's too new for feedback yet.

Apprciate the input.

sal

Hello Sal

Thanks for posting, maybe my description of the screw construction was off. The failures happened just under the head, they separate from the shaft.

I'm not too sure how the screws are made but they looked like a two piece assembly that was "pressed" together. My impression only.

As for the clip failure, the clip caught on something while getting into the car and the screw holding down the clip failed, sending the clip and screw head flying off. The clip didn't fail, only the screw holding it on did.

That being said, Sal you make a great line of products (I own a Bob Lum Chinese Folder, a Chinook I and have a Civilian on order) and I am looking forward to future releases (the Spyderfly comes to mind).

Have you considered releasing the Dodo in a SS scales version? Just wondering, it's about the most comfortable knife I've ever held and the blade is remarkable.

Thanx again

Hi Pageophile, thanx for the input.

The thimble screw is custom made for the model (although we plan to use it on several other models).

In the construction of the screw, the allen head is broached into the head. The female portion is threaded internally on a screw machine. The depth of the broached allen and the depth of the internal thread was several thousands of an inch too deep which did not leave enough material in the middle. Thus making the head vulnerable. As soon as the first problem came in, we re-designed and remade the thimble screws with less depth in the openings.

It is an interesting thimble in that it can be used as a pivot, scale fastener or clip holder.

sal

Hello Again Sal

Looks like a Dodo is back on my list, nice to see a manufacturer who is quick on their feet and responds to the customers concerns ! ! !

Best Regards

Sal Glesser said:

sal

Sal,

The Centofante III is a terrific knife. I don't know of any other folder in that offers similar quality for the price. Beautiful effective redesign.

Nitin

I really wish Spyderco would make all of their FRN models with dual steel liners.
That's why I prefer the Benchmade Griptilian over the Endura and the Mini-Griptilian over the Delica.

Allen.

Linerless FRN bends, but no harm. It's light and easy to carry. The Centofante III has a little unwanted heft, but its a nice little guy

Here's a thought. There are many open-topped, leather (or fake leather) clip glasses holders around (They are meant to clip on a shirt pocket.). How about carrying the knife in such a holder, with the holder clipped on the pocket? I don't know about "tactical" deployments (For me it's simply a tool.), but it prevents pocket wear, avoids bloodshed (just remove the holder and drop the knife out.), and prevents ANY stress on the knife's clip. Perhaps not as secure if you plan to stand on your head, but I lanyard the knife to my belt with tasteful ;) paracord so I won't lose baby. Heck, you might decide to lose the clip entirely. "Pocket" knives got along without clips for hundreds of years.

O.K.: Wanna sell me a knife? Make a Native and Dodo with titanium (maybe stainless) liners. How much more would/could it cost?

I get all wobbly when I see how much a Zytel or Zytel-like linerless folder flexes when twisted moderately hard. On defensive cuts like the 'comma' cut, you're simply asking the knife to twist right when you can least afford a failure.

Larry

Back